*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Monday, August 29, 2011

Cutting Back

This year I haven't had much time to think about saving money. My grocery store trips haven't always been well planned, laziness (or is it tiredness?) has made me more apt to use the dryer, get take out, or buy something new rather than wait and look for it used. I knew it was more imperative to my own mental sanity to let some things go and not focus on frugality as I had much more important things to focus on. Besides, I wasn't going into debt because of these new habits so it wasn't hurting us.

Just this month our phone bill went up, I've noticed prices at the grocery stores continuing to rise, and even clothing prices have been steadily increasing. Then Ben got word from work that due to cut backs he will not be on call every other weekend any longer. That was an extra $100 each month for us, and while that may not sound like a lot, it equals out to $1,200 yearly, or roughly 4 months worth of groceries for us. Yes, that $100 a month will be felt. With rising prices of everything around us, and a lowering of income, things will need to be changed.


It won't be the end of the world but it will be a necessity that I cut back that $100 from the budget. It's true that we are already down to somewhat of the bare minimum...no cable, pre-paid cellphones with no contract, no cable, no car loans, no credit cards but there is always room to improve.


Which means my Frugal Friday posts will be back with some more helpful hints and I'm thinking of bringing back my Budget Challenge. And I'll gladly answer any questions about my budget, or ways for you to cut your budget, if you want to leave your question in the comment section or e-mail it to me. Because with the economy in trouble and the country in enormous debt, the only thing we can take control of is our own financial issues. And that time to start is now!

5 comments:

  1. I agree that there is always room to do better. However, my friend and I always get a good laugh out of the magazines that advertise 10 ways to save $100 (free at the library of course) and they are things like cell phone, cable and such and we just laugh and say we don't have any of that stuff! I think that is one reason I enjoy your blog so much. When you offer tips on saving money they are realistic with MY lifestyle! :)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth do you only spend $300 a month on groceries for a family of 5? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our grocery bill is .. outrageous. We have many things to take into consideration though: diabetes, autism, severe life threatening food allergies. It makes it difficult, but I try to spend as little as possible at the grocery store. We're a family of 6 though so it's tricky!

    My question ... since we can't truly save money on groceries and we have to have basic cable (long story involving the sensory needs of our little dude on the spectrum), but we don't have a car payment or credit cards and we only pay cash for things and I am really good at finding good deals on clothing and whatnot ... would it make sense to try to save a certain percent of our income each month and tuck it away in savings not to be touched?

    I stay at home with the kids, and my husband was out of work for a long time, but is now working again (hooray!) so we still have some catching up to do, but I really want to try to set aside a certain percentage of his pay to tuck away. And I figure now is a good time to start doing it because this is income we haven't had in a long time so we shouldn't miss the percentage since we haven't had it. What do you think is a good percent to save?

    ReplyDelete
  4. With everything you have been through with your son's illness, it was a matter of survival that you did things as easy as possible. Of all the blogs I read, I know that you will be able to find "$100" in your budget or you will find a way to grow your household income. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww... I'm sorry to hear that! We would definitely feel the pinch too! We're about as tight as we can go. I've decided to watch a little boy a few days a week to supplement our income. Hope you're able to figure things out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails