*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cool Lunches

When it is hot outside I don't feel much like cooking. First of all, turning the stove top or oven on heats up our house and second, when it's hot out, you don't usually feel like eating something hot.

I've been relying on a new favorite...whole wheat tortillas with lots of goodies inside! I have several variations but my two favorites are chicken, lettuce, a sprinkle of cheese, and salsa.

Or, a slice of ham, handful of spinach, sprinkle of cheese, and some spicy mustard.

Roll it up and presto - a nice cool summertime lunch which is healthy and filling.
The kids aren't into these roll ups as they seem to be hard for them to eat without them falling apart, no matter how I roll them up. They are happy with a sandwich, some fresh blueberries, and a handful of healthy trail mix.


4 comments:

  1. My little man loves 'roll up' sandwiches made with whole wheat tortillas. Spread a thin layer of mayo, mustard, or even cream cheese over 1/2 of one side of the tortilla. Then lay flat on the tortilla a slice of turkey or ham, slice of cheese, lettuce, etc. Then roll it up like a jelly roll starting on the 'non-mayo' side. The mayo helps to hold it together at the other end. Then, I slice it into 1/2 inch slices. Also, rolling it up in the morning and popping it in the fridge, slicing it right before lunch helps them to stay together even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ami, I need to try that! I think they would especially enjoy the little 1/2 inch slices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made your blueberry cake last night. I think all the kids gave it 5 stars. So it must really be good. :) Thanks again for the seventh generation pak. It has been a blessing. The baby wipes and things got me through one pay period without having to buy that stuff. It was a nice break. I am loving the cleaners and the good scents they have. What would the best way to write and thank seventh generation? Oh and I checked out Hip to save good site. thanks for all the good tips, keep 'em coming please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth-
    So glad that you are enjoying the Seventh Generation package that you won - aren't the products wonderful?! I e-mailed you their contact info in case you want to write a thank you that way.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails