*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Organic Outreach for Families

Organic Outreach for Families by Kevin G. Harney & Sherry Harney

   I love the concept of this book - turning your home into a lighthouse. This book digs deep into the fact that we, as parents, need to basically "practice what we preach". Our children won't learn anything if our actions don't match our words.

   One point that I love is that we shouldn't push our children to attend activities at church or in the youth community that they don't enjoy. If we are living a Godly life; actively praying, showing others outside our home true Christian love, following God's word then our children will learn from us. In a nutshell 'actions speak louder than words'. I, myself, have learned this over the years. I try not to be quick to preach any more and constantly remind myself of what St. Francis said "Preach the gospel always, when necessary use words.".  In Kevin and Sherry's own words "We can't give others what we don't have. If we want our children to love Jesus with authentic and passionate hearts, we, as parents, must have a living and dynamic relationship with God. Parents who are lukewarm about living for God can't expect their kids to shine brightly for Jesus. We need to examine our own relationship with God and ask, If my child grows up to have a faith like mine, would that be a good thing?"

     This book goes on to speak about how to shine bright in our own homes, neighborhood, and community.

     I really enjoyed the concept of the book but as someone who has read several books on this topic I found it to be a repeat. I didn't feel as though it was an original idea so got bored of the book midway. I think this would be an excellent book for those who haven't read on this topic before; it would be a wealth of information in that case.

Disclaimer: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book through BookSneeze® for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails