*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Homemade Christmas

This year we are decorating our house with handmade items and enjoying the holiday spirit with homemade memories. I've become extremely tired (okay, fed up) with the commercialization materialization of Christmas. It never used to be like this...we are going back to what Christmas used to be about - the birth of Jesus, our Savior, and a time for family.

This past weekend we went searching in my Grandma's (now my younger brother's) woods.


We found pine cones which we heated in a warm oven to open. Today we painted and put glitter on them to make ornaments for the tree.


We found small pine branches for an upcoming craft.


We found grapes vines which we made into a wreath which still needs decorating.


We found a perfect stick for an idea which has been swirling around in my mind for quite some time. You see, for years I've never had the perfect spot for hanging our stockings. No open staircase, no fireplace mantel. So I decided to improvise and create a place to hang stockings.

I found a stick with little knots and branches. I had Ben spray paint it a metallic silver color. I then took two pieces of ribbon and glued loops on both ends and added red buttons for looks. We then hung the ribbon from the ceiling and slipped the branch into the ribbon. The stockings fit nicely on the little branches, though I tied a couple onto the stick with metallic string so they wouldn't slip off. I then wound some garland around the stick. It's pretty much completed, though one stocking is missing as I can't find Ben's anywhere. I'm sure it will turn up sooner or later!

What have you been working on recently?

3 comments:

  1. Just an FYI: hanging stockings, putting up a Christmas tree, mistletoe, gift giving, evergreen boughs, and caroling all originate from ancient Pagan customs and traditions. It was actually Pope Julius I who declared December 25th to be a celebration of Christ's birth (though it is estimated he was born in fall). It was an effort on the Pope's part to help introduce the Roman pagans of the time (who were the majority) to Christianity, without taking away their annual Solstice celebrations. Interesting facts. :) Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and to actually answer the question, I'm working on finding a log (preferably a traditional ash one) to make a Yule log candle holder. Since we cannot follow old tradition of burning a log without a fireplace, I'd like to at least honor the newer tradition of making a log decorated in evergreen and red and gold with candles to burn. It will be pretty! Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes and no. I started to write a long post about how there is speculation on whether the Pope started Christmas in place of a pagan holiday or whether the calculations of Jesus' birth may have indeed fallen in late December (speculation is great on both those counts). But I'm sure you've heard all that and the actual origins of Christmas don't really matter here. Christmas, in all sense of the word, is a Christian holiday. It does differ from the Solstice or MidWinterFest. It was created as a Christian tradition.
    Yes, many of the customs do come from pagan origins (though I like to think the gift giving comes from the three wise men bringing gifts!). Many of our customs today (like wedding rings) come from pagan traditions...I think it's kind of genius of the Christian church to take something from the Pagan traditions and make them mean something completely different.
    I do find the history of religion fascinating and while I don't always agree, I respect anyone who chooses to celebrate the holidays in a different way. There is a lot of history in each and every holiday (both Christian as well as pagan) and the two do intertwine at times.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails