*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Delicious

Last week after church we stopped at the only grocery store that was open in town on a Sunday (not our town, we go to church in a different one). I walked past the bakery section and immediately picked up a package of Scotcheroos and was about to place them in my cart when I stopped myself. Why am I paying close to $3 for four small bars? I was hungry, these are some of my favorite treats, and it was convenient. It's also expensive.

I put the package back on the shelf and went to pick up some rice krispies and butterscotch chips, knowing that I could make a whole pan of these babies for about the same price. It was just another reminder to myself that one can save money and still get what they want.

These are some of my favorite snacks. I even make them for Christmas platters and sprinkle them with red and green sprinkles to make them more festive.

(No, I didn't give the kids a huge chunk of yummy goodness to snack on. I just plopped this slab down on a plate and photographed it...before cutting it into kid sized portions. This was all that was left 12 hours after I made the batch.)

Chocolate Scotcheroos

1 c. light corn syrup

1 cup sugar

1 cup peanut butter

6 cups rice krispies cereal

6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1 c. butterscotch chips

Place corn syrup and sugar into a 3 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter. Mix well. Add rice krispies cereal. Stir until well coated. Press mixture into 13x9x2 inch pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside

Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. (I usually do this in the microwave.) Spread evenly over cereal mixture. Let stand until firm. Cut into square bars.

I've found that these even freeze fairly well.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails