*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Make Your Bucket List!

There has been a lot of talk about "bucket lists" lately. There is a whole movie about two gentlemen who received a terminal diagnosis and go on to do things they wanted to do their whole life. I couldn't watch it as I really dislike movies with a sad premises.

I do think that "bucket lists" are a grand idea. I don't think that they are for the sick or dying, I think they are something that we all should make for ourselves. After all, we have just this one life to live and we should live a life that won't leave us with regrets. In reality, a bucket list is writing down your goals, hopes, and dreams for yourself...things that you want to do before "you kick the bucket".

I've talked to people that have no idea what they want to do in their life. When asked what is on their bucket list they respond with "I don't know". The saying "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow" is a great one.

My own bucket list is:

1. Visit all 50 states. I only have 9 of them down...so 41 more to go!

2. Buy a small acreage and be as self-sufficient as possible. Go back to the basics and be off the "system" as much as possible.

3. Raise good kids. They don't have to be unusually intelligent or grow up to be rich and famous. I want them to be good people.

4. Do something to change the world, or at least a small part of some one's world. One could say that I am changing my part of the world by raising my children, and I agree. There is so much suffering in the world though and I can see where there is so much more to do. Something such as a mission trip is a thought. We have also talked about fostering children someday. I want to make a difference. Too many people get so caught up in their own life that they can't empathize or see how others are struggling. I want to always try to put others first.

Okay, that's my list so far. Maybe I'll change it or add to it at some point but it's a good start. What's on your list?

3 comments:

  1. What a great start to your bucket list. I wrote the first series of mine up not long ago too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list. Mine is just about the same except for the 50 state thing and the fostering thing.
    The homesteading thing has been something that I have always wanted to do but I know this will ner happen. Maybe 25 years ago I would have attempted it but in my late 40's it just isn't going to happen. If you have yet to join this site : http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/ I suggest that you do because it is an awesome place where homesteaders and wannabees (like me!) gather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look. Or at least it is different from where I am viewing it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails