*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, December 16, 2011

One Year

Exactly one year ago today I found the lump on Jacob's abdomen while helping him get dressed. Exactly one year ago today we heard the words "cancer". Exactly one year ago today our lives changed forever.

One year later I am thankful beyond belief that our little man is still with us, healthy and doing well. While my sweet boy was laying in a hospital bed over Christmas last year after a major surgery which cut him from side to side, a chest tube hanging out of him, and a morphine pump by his side, I almost couldn't bear to look into the future to see what the next year would bring.

My brave boy fought a battle that most grown men would tremble at and he did it with hope, fearlessness, and trust. He is my hero and I fall to my knees with relief that he is here to celebrate (really, really celebrate) Christmas with - the day that the Lord came to earth to save us all.

It's a reminder that life can change in an instant. That one day...one hour...one minute can be the difference of "before" and "after". It's a reminder to not live in fear (A life lived in fear is one only half lived) but rather to live each moment to the fullest. Full of family, friends, and most of all love and no regrets.

3 comments:

  1. What a truly wonderful reason to celebrate this season with family and friends. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a never to be forgotten moment, isn't it, Beth? I am so glad that this year is different for all of you. I can well remember January, 2010, sitting in my car after work,with freezing rain sleeting down on the windows,when the doctor told me I had uterine cancer. She didn't want to tell me over the phone, but knew I couldn't come to the Cedar Rapids office because of the ice storm. Even though things went well for me, I am forever changed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praising God for Jacob's continued good healh! May he richly bless you and yours in the coming new year!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails