*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, December 8, 2011

Curbside Shopping

I have been searching for the perfect end tables for the living room for the longest time. I had two end tables that we purchased years ago (6 or 7 years ago?) but didn't like the feel of them any longer. All summer I scoured garage sales. I went so far as to look for some brand new but still couldn't find what I was looking for. I didn't exactly know what I was looking for but knew that I'd know when I saw it.

Then one day I loaded all three kids up in the van for their dentist appointment. As I drove down the street I saw an old sewing desk at the curb a block away. I was going to be late for the appointment though so excitedly called my mom and asked her to run down the street and grab it for me. It took her and my dad to lug it home...who knew wrought iron was so heavy?! :) I knew exactly what I was going to do with it!

I cleaned it up, put a tray over the hole where the sewing machine used to go, and replaced one of my previous side tables with it.

I love the character that it adds to the room...it's something original instead of a mass produced end table. The little drawers are neat for hiding treasure and I can swap out decorations as the seasons change. Please excuse my sad houseplant...she was shocked by having to come back inside after spending her days on the porch in the warm summer and fall sunshine.


This is a Singer sewing desk and the date on the iron is stamped 1887. Right around the time our house was built...so it's a perfect fit!

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'm amazed at what folks give away! I love these tables with marble on top. The great thing is you can get extra marble pieces at local tile shops and marble yards for about $10. I LOVE your little table!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails