*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Monday, December 19, 2011

Lack of Greetings

Six mail days left before Christmas. This is my haul of Christmas cards so far this year...


The amount seems to shrink each year. Not because my friends disown me and take me out of their address book, but rather because more and more people decide not to send cards every year. They blame it on the price of postage, lack of time, or more often then not, sites like Facebook that keep you in touch with family and friends all year long.


Christmas cards are falling to the wayside much like personal letters are. To me there are no replacements for either. There is nothing like a letter written to you by a friend and nothing like a stack of Christmas cards arriving in December with family photos, newlsetters, and notes. It is like the magic touch - holiday greetings and a warm hug wrapped up in one.


What is your take on Christmas cards? Do you send them? Do you like to receive them?

7 comments:

  1. I send out 80 or so every year. I love receiving Christmas cards. I've received 4 this year. Kind of a downer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to receive a tonne of Christmas cards, this year we only received 5... but I didn't have time to send this year, so I understand how people can feel the time crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed out on sending cards for the first time in eight years. I don't like sending cards without a photo because it feels too generic. So, I'm going to send out Valentine's Day cards this year. February is less chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Valentine cards are a neat idea - I know a few people who send out Easter greetings instead of Christmas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished the last letter and have mailed out 92 cards this year. It's a big job but somebody has to do it!!! I don't get nearly as many as I send. My cards I sent were bought at garage sales! New boxes with the wrap still on them for 25 and 50 cents. Wish I could get a deal on postage like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't sent my cards out yet. It's not too late, right? It seems like this year everything has taken more out of me and takes longer to do. I'm going to fill them out and send them this week. I haven't gotten any yet, but I don't know if that's because I haven't sent them out or not. Next year I'm going to be more on the ball--I will have them done by Thanksgiving (I did last year so I know this is possible) and I'll have a family picture in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not receive near the Christmas cards as in the past. But, I do not mind. I really do not want to get cards from those that I see frequently. I would rather get those that I never see during the year. Those I savor!

    I have not sent any out this year. A first for me, but since we are not settled in a home this Christmas, I have decided to wait until we are and than mail out our new address and hopefully a picture of our family in our new home! It may be a Valentine card. I hope it is not Easter cards.

    I do not think it matters when we send out greetings, but that we do make an effort to keep in touch at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails