*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, October 23, 2010

Menu and Shopping

My menu for the week:
Cabbage Soup and cornbread
Meat Loaf and corn casserole
Sandwiches and soup
Minute steak and loaded mashed potatoes
Corn Quiche
Sausage Minestrone and homemade rolls

Everything is served with other sides to complete a balanced meal. It depends on what I have in the cupboards, fridge, and freezer at the time. Lunches and breakfasts are basics. Desserts for the week are Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, Upside Down Chocolate Johnny Cake, Apple crisp, Cherry Crisp, and Brownies.

I spent $63.66 at the grocery store and ran to Kwik Star to stock up on three dozen eggs (at 79 cents a dozen), 1 lb. of butter ($1.69), and a gallon of milk...where I spent $6.79. Which means I have a total of $4.55 left for the week.

I agree with Dee who left a comment on my previous post (and who is also one of my best friends!). She mentioned that she does not have a set grocery budget and therefore sometimes spends very little at the store when she has a lot in her cupboards and sometimes spends a lot when it seems their food supply is low. I do try to stick to about $75 a week but some weeks are far less and some weeks I spend a lot more while trying to stock up on products that are at wonderful sale prices. My goal is to spend $300 or less a month on groceries...whether that ends up being $55 one week and $100 the next it doesn't matter, as long as it averages $300 for the month.

When I don't have this goal in mind and just randomly shop for items we end up spending a lot more. I do notice prices at the grocery store going up and what I've been doing about it; next week for Frugal Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails