*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, October 15, 2010

Good Things Come To Those That Wait

Most budgeting experts agree that if you are trying to manage your money and see an item that you want but don't *need* that you wait a few days and if after a couple days you still want that item then, and only then, should you purchase it. Often times it was going to be an impulse purchase and after stewing it over a few days you decide you don't want it, nor need it. I'm on board with that idea.

I go a step further and often wait for weeks or months to get something that I want or even need. Because I have found all too often (after I've purchased something for full price) that I can find that item on sale or at a garage sale for far cheaper.

One small example is that my husband wanted to buy the kids a Scooby Doo DVD. He went to a used movie store and found it for $5. I was a bit aghast at spending $5 on a cartoon and mentioned to my husband that I am sure I could have found it cheaper somewhere else. He laughed and said "I doubt it." The very next day I saw the exact movie at a garage sale for 50 cents! I had to rub that one in just a teeny bit.

Last year my pots and pans were falling apart. The Teflon was coming off and I wanted to avoid Teflon completely so researched stainless steel pans. I wanted a couple skillets, a sauce pan, and a large pot. All the sets I found were over $100 and many included items that I didn't want. Buying the individual pieces were going to cost even more. A large stainless steel pot was going to be at least $40 alone...and that was for the cheapest! I watched sales and came close to purchasing a set when it dropped to $110. I kept hesitating knowing that I would find a better deal somewhere, so I put off the purchase. I suddenly ran across a clearance find of a sauce pan for just $7 so snatched that up. I then hit the jackpot at a garage sale where I found an Emeril 6 qt. pot for $3...with it's lid and in almost like new condition. At the same sale were two stainless steel skillets for $1 each! So for $12 total I had all 4 pieces that I wanted!

A couple years ago I wanted a hall table to put against a wall in the dining room. I watched sales and saw one advertised at Shopko for $79. I drove 45 minutes there to look at it and was about to buy it but hesitated once again. Was it worth $79 to me?! In the back of my mind I knew that I would find one cheaper somewhere so I left the store without purchasing it. Just a few weeks later I found an old battered (but neat in a distressed kind of way) hall table at a garage sale for $5. A few new knobs later and I like it better than the brand new one that was at the store.

Last year we were considering a chest freezer and got close to buying one, but put that purchase off too. A few weeks later a grocery store around here had a sale of buy a freezer for $200 and get over $200 in free groceries. We were able to get the freezer and fill it up as well! You can't beat that deal.

I could list several more instances where it paid to put off a purchase. My point is that you can almost always find what you need for a better price, or often realize that you don't even need the item to begin with. Good things truly do come to those that wait.

1 comment:

  1. Good things come to those who wait. A very good frugal tip

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails