*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, May 29, 2010

Menu and Grocery Trip Update

Getting back into the routine of updating on Saturday with my menu and shopping list. Remember, my goal is to feed my family of five for $75 weekly.
The menu this week is:
Turkey Ham
Tacos
Sauerkraut Sandwiches and fries
Goulash
Broccoli Alfredo
Homemade Pizza
Brats
These are all served with other sides, of course, usually something that I decide at the last minute. Lunch is typically sandwiches, cheese and crackers, soup, or leftovers. Breakfast is either oatmeal, eggs, toast, or cereal.
My shopping list for the week:
1% gallon milk $2.79
hot dog buns 99 cents
hamburger buns $1.59
O-I Texas Crisps $2.69 (have no idea what came up labeled this way)
Broccoli florets $1.69
8 ox. shredded taco cheese $2
5 yogurts @ 60 cents each
2 boxes mac&cheese Explosion 88 cents each (had 2 free coupons)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese $2
Turkey ham $4.71
dozen eggs $1.09
2 lbs. ground beef $3.25 and $3.48
deli ham $2.68
deli bologna $2.79
1.65 lb. bananas 97 cents
1.02 lb. peaches $3.05 (I didn't realize they would cost that much as I only bought three smaller peaches, which means they were $1 each)
Paper towels $1.99
Gummi worms $1.50 (kids needed a treat)
Asian noodles $1.29
2 packages corn tortillas for the tacos 69 cents each
hand soap 99 cents
Special K bars $2
Jello cheesecake $2.29
Alfredo sauce $1.99
Can of baked beans $1.48
Can soup $1.89
sauerkraut 99 cents
head of lettuce $1.29
5 kiwis $2
sweet onions, 1.30 lb $1.29
Miracle whip $1.88
Package roma tomatoes $2.99
3 lb. Washington apples $3.29
2 ltr. root beer .79 cents

Grand total for the week: $72.29
How did you do this week?

4 comments:

  1. I have to ask. Is this your complete grocery shopping for the week? And does this assume that you have other things already bought and on hand that you didn't need to buy? Just curious how to institute this into practice in my own home. With as many boys in the house as we both have, I am sure you are sympathetic to the phrase "being eaten out of house and home" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is our complete shopping list, unless I have to run out for milk or something later in the week. And yes, this list only compliments what we have on hand. I try to keep the pantry stocked up somewhat so that I don't constantly have to buy spaghetti noodles, or ground beef, or chicken...and so on. But our typical grocery bills are around $75 so even when I stock up on other things we still aim for about $300 a month for food.
    And I totally get what you are saying about boys. My almost 5 year old wants to eat constantly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you! To stretch your food budget, have you looked into food co-ops? We have one in our state (and the surrounding) called Bountiful Baskets ( http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ ). For $15 a week (and you only pay for the weeks you want), you get a laundry basket full of produce. Of course, you have no idea what you'll be getting until you show up, but it's been very interesting. Some of the items we've gotten are potatoes, corn, rainbow chard, spinach, pineapples, bananas (always bananas), apples, clementines, etc. They occasionally offer upgrades to the baskets, like $8 for 72 tortillas. I've found that with good storage, I can make a basket last two weeks, and it really adds a lot of value to our food budget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kara-
    I have looked into food co-ops but there are none around here that I have found. We do have a small garden and that helps for a couple months out of the year but all we are getting from it right now are radishes. I would gladly pay the $15 a week if we had something like that around here!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails