*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Wednesday, May 5, 2010

9 Years

Nine years ago today I walked down that aisle and married the love of my life. We have had our ups and downs but our love for each other today is stronger than ever. Happy Anniversary, Honey!

For all of you reading this, shall I start at the beginning? The beginning did not begin nine years ago, but more like eleven years ago. I was just 16 years old when I wrote an article about homeschooling for Countryside Magazine. My bio at the end of the article mentioned that I was interested in penpals. The letters poured in - I literally received over 30 letters but the majority were prisoners, whom wrote interesting letters but needless to say did not become my penpals!

One of the letters was from a young man three states away. We corresponded a couple times a month back and forth and realized that we had a lot in common. Our letter writing became more and more frequent until we were writing at least once a week. He finally asked me for my phone number but I'm not much of a phone person so declined several times. After almost a year of writing I agreed and sent him my phone number. I still remember the first time he called...I was brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed when my dad brought the phone upstairs and said it was for me. I remember my mind going blank and I couldn't think of anything to say at first but soon the conversation flowed and I felt right at home on the phone.

Soon we were writing as well as talking on the phone several times a week. After a year of writing and another year of phone calls we decided it was time to meet. The moment we met and hugged I felt like I was with a lifelong friend; someone I had known forever. It may sound cliche' but it was true. No awkwardness at all. Needless to say, five months later...nine years ago to this day...we were married.

I look back now and realize what little babies we were. I was 18 and Ben was 23. Immature? Of course! Naive? Probably. Unready for marriage? Apparently not. 9 years, three children, one apartment and two houses, several jobs, and lots of pets later our bond is stronger than ever.

How long have you been married and how did you and your spouse meet?

7 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! I've been married for almost 8 years. I met my fella on AOL Instant Messanger. We talked online for 6 months..had a few phone calls thrown in too. :) We met in person in December, engaged by Feb, and married June 1. I was 19 and he was 23. I completely agree that is to young, but when you know, you know! We now have one baby girl and are going strong!

    I'm new to your blog but really enjoy reading what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Today is my 9th Anniversary as well. We met at college through a friend about 12 and a half years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin and I met when he was 15, I was 13, through homeschooling. We saw each other off and on over the next four years, but were both shy and didn't talk very much until I was 17 and he was 19. We were both at a mutual family friend's house in March of '99 and started talking...and talking and found we had alot in common. We started emailing daily shortly after that, and called ourselves "friends" for a just a short time before we began a more romantic relationship in May. He proposed in July of '99 (yes, I was really engaged at age 17!)and we got married in 2000 when I was 18 and he was 20. We have been married almost 9 1/2 years now, and I have absolutely no regrets in getting married so young. It has been great and he truly is the guy of my dreams! Now 3 kids later, our marriage is better than ever.
    --Dee from MN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,
    Exactly 3 weeks from today on May 26th John and Myself will be married 33 years. We were married on my 17th birthday, yes your right, I will be 50. I hope your marriage is a happy and fun one like John's and mine. We have 3 bio children and also adopted 4 children. We feel like we don't know anything but marriage, all this time, it's hard to remember me with out him and viceversa.
    Happy Anniversary..
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth,
    This July, Doug & I will be married 42 years. We met in December 1966 at a drive in restaurant. We were married in July, 1968. I was just three weeks shy of my 21st birthday and he was 25. We have been very happy. Happy Aniversary.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! First time commenter over here (I think first time visitor as well). What a romantic story. Happy anniversary to you both!

    My husband & I will be married 10 years as of June. We were together for 4 year before that. How did we meet? He saw me in the bar and was, for whatever reason, instantly drawn to me. I saw him and wondered what he was doing there. Our first words were me yelling at him to get out of the way as I ran my friend to get fresh air. She vomited on his boot. Romantic? Nope.

    Somehow, our paths kept crossing. We became friends and that friendship grew to the point where our shady bar meeting has evolved into us being very involved in church ministry. Strange huh?

    P.S. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was great reading about how you all met your spouses! It is amazing how we all have a different story to tell!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails