*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, February 12, 2010

Frugal Friday: Pay With Cash?

Ever since I started working with a budget (basically my whole life!) I've heard that it is best to pay with cold hard cash. For someone who writes checks and usually uses my debit card, it's a hard rule to follow. And I wonder, is it is a rule that must be followed?

Maybe for those who are just starting with a budget and have no idea where their money is going, that could be the way to start. It is recommended to sit down and figure out how much you will need monthly for groceries, gas, and fun money and withdraw the cash each payday and stick it in envelopes that are labeled and only use that money for what it is intended for. Once that envelopes are empty, no more groceries, eating out, or fun stuff until the next payday. Okay, I can see how that works. You know where your money is going and how much left you have to spend that week.

I've never done it that way. I have sat down and created a budget. I know how much I have to budget for the electric, gas, phone, insurance, and city bill. I know how much I need to budget for the mortgage. I try to always aim for $100 or under at the store, so know how much to allot for groceries. I typically know how much we spend in a month and when to stop spending. But my husband and I rarely carry cash with us. It is so convenient to whip out the debit card (which automatically comes out of checking) or write a check if it is local. I balance the checkbook with the receipts and online banking info every few days and can see how we are doing that way.

Quite honestly, I get confused when I use the cash system. I've tried it, I really have, and I always screw it up. For example, last week I tried it again...I took $100 cash out for groceries and went shopping at Super Target. But we didn't just pick up groceries, we picked up some cookware and odds and ends. So when it came to pay and it was $55, I payed it with cash. But then I thought, do I subtract the $12.56 that I paid for other items and put that amount back into my grocery budget? Where do I get the $12.56 even, since I have no other cash on me, especially not in that exact amount. Do I need to run to the bank and withdraw $12.56 to stick back into the grocery envelope? It's confusing! My way would have been to log the $55 into my checkbook and realized I spent $12.56 on "other items" and $42.44 on groceries...giving me $57.56 left for groceries for the week. THAT logic is much easier for me to grasp.

I realize that the cash system will never work for me, unless I only use it for certain things such as the "fun category" or the gas budget (though I love using my debit card at the gas pump instead of having to take the kids out of the car seats and run into the gas station to pay cash). I also don't like having a lot of cash on me. I'm a bit careless with my purse and leave it lying in carts and sometimes in the car and I just don't want a huge chunk of cash with me.

I do just fine by keeping track in my head and by looking through my checkbook to see if we are keeping on track with the budget each week. I find it a much easier system for myself than trying to deal with different envelopes of cash. I think we need to find a system that works for ourselves and then stick to it. As long as we know how much we are spending each week and staying within our guidelines I don't think a cash only rule is the only one which can be used.

Are you a cash only, check, or debit card person? What works the best for you?

P.S. While my grocery budget is currently $100 weekly, I do hope to cut that down to $75 or less. I know once my garden is producing that will help. Shall I give myself a $75 grocery challenge for this coming week? I think I will try just that and check in here with updates!

9 comments:

  1. We are a cash/debit card family. To me they are the same thing. But in the way that you are asking we are mostly cash. We do keep a lot of cash only because we get a lot of cash so it is pretty easy to use. I do the debit card for gas for the same reasons as you do. It sounds to me what you are doing works just fine. I think the key here is a budget and more importantly sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a CASH girl!!! I really, REALLY don't see any problem with people using debit cards instead of cash. If(like you) you have your finances under control, and use a good budget, then I don't see any problem with using a debit card. Here are the reasons I like to use cash instead of my debit card.

    #1 Plain and simple, it quicker. When I pay for my purchase I hand the cashier my cash, she/he then gives me my change and receipt. If I were using a debit card I would have to swipe, then wait for authorization(can take quite a while sometimes), and then sign my name. Then I am handed my reciept. So, for me, cash is much quicker.

    #2 It creates much less "paper work" when balancing my check book. I don't have to record all of those "$7 here and $11 there" transactions. Balancing my check book literally takes me about 5 minutes a week.

    #3 I don't have to worry about someone stealing my I.D. and racking up charges on my debit card. This happened to my sister. She still has no idea who or when her card number was stolen and it was HUGE pain to get the situation fixed.

    #4 I spend less money when I use cash. Because I know I have a limited amount of money, I keep a closer eye on how much I'm spending. Plus, it's just harder for me to hand over cash than a plastic card. Cash seems more "real" to me.

    Anyway, those are my reasons for using cash. However, I believe everyone should use whatever kind of system that works for them, and for lots of people, that is a debit card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha.... so I have to say that when I first saw this, I thought it said Cash vs Debt and I was like, WHAT?! Now that I know it's DEBIT, I can reply without giving my thoughts on DEBT. :)

    Last year we made a budget and did the cash system for half the year... then we started using debit again because we would forget the grocery money or things like that. At the end of 09 when we looked back, we realized that we became much more loose with spending once we were using the debit card. We no longer had that knowledge that we have this much cash to spend and that's it. We also found that we were 'treating ourselves' a little more. So this year, we went back to cash only (except at the gas pump... if we need gas, we're going to get it).

    For now, that works the best for us. I think it's awesome, though, that you can stay on top of stuff just by recording your receipts and things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also posted on blogfrog. We use debit only. Very rarely do we carry CASH unless we are going somewhere that we know we will need it. I too get confused by the envelope cash system. We use Quicken like no tomorrow which really helps me categorize all of our spending. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a mix if cash and debit card. I never use a credit card. I never seperate my household goods and groceries. They are basically one group for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do cash.. There is physical pain when I have to give up cash. It's finite. There's a definite limit. It also helps my son count change and learn about money when he sees us using cash. Dave Ramsey says that studies show you spend 33% more (on average) when paying with check or cash. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't even have a debit card. It is cash only. We do however occasionally use a credit card to pay for gas. But we always pay it in full each month. I always use cash for groceries that way we try to spend less. I have heard that you should not use a debit card at the gas pumps. My mil said that she heard that when you use your card as a debit card at the pumps people can track your account. I don't know if it true or not.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. In 40 plus years of marriage, I have never followed a budget because I never had too. I have always paid cash for groceries, gas, eating out, movies etc. Everything else is charged. I don't even have a debit card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make all your expenses for the month come out of the same pot. We have 400$ that we use (in cash) for everything from oil changes to diapers to pots to food, basically, any non-bills come from that pool of funds. When I see the money disappear from the envelope I feel it, and thus spend less :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails