*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cutting Back

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent. Many people decide to give something up for Lent as a sacrifice. Jesus sacrificed His life for us so it shouldn't be hard for us to give up something as well, right?

I didn't have to think long about what we needed to give up as a family. We all have such a sweet tooth and are constantly picking up candy here or a package of cookies there. Not only is this unhealthy, but it isn't a treat if it is constantly available. We talked as a family about it and have decided to cut back on all these sweets. During this time I may make a batch of cookies here and there or pick up a treat occasionally (Sundays, I have learned, are exempt from the Lenten fast so a small treat then would be allowed). But a treat will now become a treat, and not a given.

And that is the whole point of a treat, right? To be rewarded with good behavior or be surprised with an out of the ordinary snack. If you get these goodies several times weekly, or daily, how is that any different than your regular diet? Just add a side of candy bar and call your meal complete.

As a child we rarely got candy, and when we did it was something small like a dum-dum sucker or we shared a small bag of skittles. Pop (or soda for those who are not from the mid-west) was an even rarer treat...we typically only got it at family get togethers or for a very special occasion. So we treasured those treats and really did feel like it was a special occasion when we received them.

This is not just meant as a sacrifice until Easter. I want our eating habits to change and I think the first step is to try to cut down (way down) in the sweets department. During the Lenten season I think it will be difficult, and will be a sacrifice, but they say that after 21 days you tend to be able to stick to your new habit, and I hope this "less sugar, less junk" habit will stick with us after Easter has passed.

What have I decided to be junk food? Store bought cookies and donuts, candy, and pop. These are all our downfalls and this is the area that we need the most work on. I actually started this goal a couple days ago and am on day three of no sweets. I feel better already. But I have to admit that I still have a strong craving at times and hope that I can pass by these treats at the grocery store next time I go shopping - that will be my biggest challenge! I will keep you all updated on how we are doing.

3 comments:

  1. A good way to avoid those sugary store-bought snacks is to find out what they are made from. Once you see each ingrident as the toxin it is, the easier it is to pass them by.

    If you quit sugar cold turkey, depending how much you consumed before, you will have definite withdrawl symptoms.

    Keep up the good work, Elizabeth. I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy!
    I've been eating a lot of fruit whenever I get the junk food craving. I figure the natural sugars may help my withdrawl symptoms and that fruit is good for you anyway so it is a win/win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the visit Elizabeth! Best of luck with the giving up sweets. My husband and I are trying to do the same with our family as well! So far so good, but it's only been a day. Darn Girl Scout Cookies!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails