*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Scrubbing Day Is My Favorite Day!

I doubt many of you can name the show that the line above is from. It's a running joke in our family because when I was little my cousin and I watched Pippi Longstocking and she was sliding across the room with her scrub brushes on her feet scrubbing the floors, singing that song. My cousin and I didn't have any scrub brushes, so we stuck a couple sticks of butter on our feet and slid around the kitchen like that. You should have seen (and heard!) how angry her mother was when she walked through the door!

I always think of that incident and that song when I am scrubbing my own kitchen floor. And scrubbing day is not my favorite day, one of the least favorites in fact. I love my clean floor after all the scrubbing but it is amazing how messes tend to gravitate towards a newly washed floor. It seems that on floor mopping day is when the kids decide to walk into the house with muddy feet, or spill sticky juice on the floor. It never ceases to amaze me how the floor can be sparkling clean one moment and look terrible within an hour. But for one hour it really is clean enough to eat off of.

I have been cleaning like a crazy woman the past few days and still have quite a bit left to do. We are leaving for vacation soon and I want this house to be inviting and cozy when we return so that we can just relax for a few days. It is next to impossible to accomplish such a task when I have three small children making a mess behind me. For example, I worked in the kids room yesterday for over half an hour while the kids played in the playroom. When I was finished with the kids bedroom I noticed what a mess the kids made in the playroom. This happens everytime I work on one room...they are busy messing up another room! It's exhausting and downright maddening at times.

And today I had such high hopes in getting the floors scrubbed, some more packing done, and the dining room and office room worked on. But I had forgotten about Jacob's speech therapy so we will need to run there first. And now the cat is getting a Urinary Tract Infection (which she gets several times a year) and I can't leave her while we are on vacation like that so I need to run to the vet's office 20 miles away to pick up a prescription for her. Believe when I say it is not fun trying to get her to take that medicine. She knows what it is and knows that she doesn't want it and does everything in her power to escape while I am giving it to her and try and puke it up when I am finished. Wrapping her in a towel and holding her down only helps a little. Amazing how a 12 lb. cat can become so strong at a moment like that.

This has been my week thus far! It is SO exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails