*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I Miss Garage Sales!

Now that winter is approaching our garage sale season has been closed down long ago. And that is one thing that I miss about spring and summer. I love finding good deals and getting things that I need or never knew I needed at such excellent prices. I am already looking forward to next year's garage sales, which typically start up in April. Just five months to go!

But tonight at TOPS we had a small auction to raise money for the group. We all brought several items that were laying around our home that we no longer needed and auctioned them off. Things went fairly cheap but we were still able to raise over $80 for the group! I came away with a few bags of notecards, some magazines, and some knick knacks. And it was just as fun as going garage sailing. I was able to not only get some neat items at cheap prices but also help out our group in the process.
And an added bonus is that in the last three weeks I have lost 3 1/2 lbs. according to the scale at TOPS! Yay!

I not only miss going to garage sales but I also miss having ones of my own. My mom and I and sometimes other family members pool our stuff and have two to three garage sales a year. I am often selling outgrown children's clothing, toys that are no longer being played with, books, and the like. And I often make $50-$100 per sale; last spring even making $150! It is a great way to make a little extra spending cash and also clear clutter. I love the feeling of selling off things that I no longer need and making money by doing so. It will seem like a long five months before I can have another garage sale. But lately while I have been setting aside extra special items for my garage sale in the spring I have also been donating a lot while I have been purging the house and trying to get organized for the holidays. It makes me feel good to know that my no longer used items are going to someone who needs them or making money for organizations that help others. If you, too, are doing a lot of decluttering of your house in preparation of the holidays remember your local thrift shops and donation centers and help them out!

1 comment:

  1. The highlight of spring for me is the kick off to garage sale season..you are not the only one who loves that! :)
    Dee

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails