*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Guess What?

Ever since I was a nanny down in Florida for a few months over nine years ago I have been wanting an English Bulldog. I fell in love with the one they had, 'Nana', and just always said I would have one someday. But anyone who has looked for one knows how unbelievably expensive they are. I never wanted to get a dog from a breeder because I just don't support breeding when there are so many unwanted animals in shelters. But after having my name on wishlists and checking petfinder for over a year and seeing nothing (bulldogs just rarely come into shelters) I did start to look at breeders websites. Not because I wanted to buy one (I can't afford that much!) but because I loved looking at puppy pictures.

Fast forward to the other evening when I ran across the website of a breeder who lives fairly close to us. I e-mailed asking if they ever sold the older dogs after breeding age had passed (this happens often in kennels) and was told no but that they had a puppy that they were willing to let go for cheap, if we were willing to come pick her up. And I mean cheap...like actually in my price range cheap. I never wanted a show dog or one for breeding so this would work out perfectly. And while I would like to say that I adopted her from the humane society I do want to point out that in this case I doubt I would ever find a bulldog at the pound. They truly are rarely seen in shelters and the rescues are too far from us to even consider getting one from.

So we now are the owner of a third dog. A "little too much", as hubby says, but come on...I've always wanted a bully! This little girl is an Olde English Bulldog, which means she should have less health problems than a regular English Bulldog. The Oldes are a bit taller and don't have as many breathing or eye issues. Her tail isn't docked so she looks a little more like a pitbull at this point but who can resist the face of a bulldog? She isn't named yet so I'm open to suggestions! Update: Puppy has been named Weezy.



This photo is where she is wrapped up in a blanket for her nap, thanks to Jacob.

And here I unwrapped her for her debut. I'm sure more photos will surface of her when she is awake soon. She is such a sweetie and all the kids are having a blast with her.

6 comments:

  1. Awe! Such a cutie! I can't wait to watch her grow! You will have to blog about her as she gets bigger. I love her name too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. She is dear. I'm a lover of the French Bulldog, myself. No dogs in this house, though. Not until we stop going on 3 week long camping trips. Did they tell you why they were letting her go so cheaply?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weezy as in Toy Story Weezy? :) You have a theme going in your household, I'd say.... Eli has wanted a bulldog for so long, but I just don't see it being feasible here, either! I adopted our miniature pinscher from a lady with MS....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Weezy as in the Toy Story one. Jacob is obsessed with Toy Story so he was thrilled when we decided on that name. Plus, bulldogs sound a little wheezy when they brethe so it fits.
    We were able to get her so cheap because she was the runt of the litter, her tail was left on instead of docked, and her brindle coloring. Guess the brindle doesn't sell as well. She is a healthy little thing so no worries that they tried to pawn off a sick dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth!
    I love Weezy! Can't she have a middle name though...as in Weezy Nana Belle? If it helps any, Nana came from my kids thinking my mom was great and wanting to name our bulldog after her, thus the Nana part...and then Isaac was about 18-20 months old and LOVED Beauty and the Beast and insisted we add Belle to her name for that Disney character! Keep posting pictures of her at any rate. She is absolutely adorable! Now you're making ME want another one! Can't resist those wrinkles, the snore and snorting, the drool....priceless! I didn't know you like Nana when we were in FL either! She was a sweetie. jacki

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails