*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Sunday, June 6, 2010

Everybody Likes Pizza!

I don't need to post a recipe for pizza as everyone has their favorites and everyone knows how to make pizza. But I wanted to post a reminder that pizza is a great family dish and very frugal as well. Getting take out from a pizza place runs us at least $15. Frozen pizzas from the store would be around $6 (but taste bland and nasty). I can make a big pan of pizza for around $3-$4 and everyone loves it. I make the crust in the bread maker (which I bought at a garage sale last year for $5) and it costs less than $1. Sauce, cheese, and pepperoni is about another $2. You can then add anything else you want such as mushrooms, onions, peppers, olives, etc.

We used to have pizza night every Friday night. It's nice for me to know exactly what to cook on a certain night and the kids love to help put the toppings on the pizza. I think we will start the Friday night pizza night tradition again.

Update: a few readers asked for the pizza dough recipe so here it is. I actually just use the basic white bread recipe in my booklet that came with the bread machine. It is:
1/3 c. tap water
3/4 c. milk
3 cups bread flour
1 t. salt
2 T. sugar
1 1/2 T. butter
1 1/2 t. dry yeast

I then turn it on to the pizza setting and it mixes and kneads it. In about 45 minutes it beeps, I take it out and let it rise in a bowl for about an hour, then punch it down and roll it out onto the cookie sheet and add my toppings. I want to experiment with whole wheat dough and other fancy dough so will be trying some new recipes and will post those if we like them better than the plain white dough. Does anyone else have a favorite pizza dough recipe?

8 comments:

  1. Please post your recipe! My husband hasn't liked the few pizza dough recipes I've tried, and I'd love to try it in the bread machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE how cheap pizza is. We have just started tortilla pizza night again around here. I'd love to see your recipe as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay ladies, I updated the post to include the recipe. Maybe other readers have a favorite pizza dough recipe that they would like to share as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my whole wheat pizza dough recipe -- and it's an easy one to change up. I usually add herbs and spices, or sometimes flax seeds (which I'm totally in love with). It's really simple, and also tastes great on its own (topped with just a bit of olive oil and sea salt is my favourite).

    1 package active dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water
    pinch of sugar
    1 cup white flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 tbsp olive oil
    teaspoon of salt
    herbs and spices to taste

    Mix the yeast and sugar into the warm water; let sit about 10 minutes until frothy.

    Combine the flours, salt and other spices. Mix in the olive oil, then pour in the yeast mixture. Add more water until the dough forms a sticky ball. Knead for several minutes, until the dough is no longer sticky. Rub with a little bit more olive oil, cover with a tea towel, and let sit in a warm place until doubled (about 20 minutes).

    Roll the dough out on a pan, then top with sauce, cheese, etc. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes (until crust is golden).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making pizza. I know my recipe by ratio, so it's easy to make a small amount for me and my hubby, or enough for entertaining. (it's in g and ml cos we don't do cups over here!)

    250g bread flour (double to 500 or triple to 750)
    150ml warm water (double to 300 or triple to 450)
    1 tablespooon oil
    pinch salt
    pinch sugar
    1 sachet yeast (i think it's about 7g in a sachet. I'd throw in two for the double or triple version)

    Put dry stuff in bowl, mix in the liquid. Knead for up to ten minutes, add more flour or water as necessary. Leave to rise for a bit in a warm place (ideally at least 30min, depends how much time i have!)

    I usually use a mix of flours - so long as it's bread flour you can use white, brown, wholemeal..

    ReplyDelete
  6. (i tend not to really measure the oil just pour it in, but do put in more for the double or triple recipes, but like the yeast prob only go up to 2 times original amount)

    I do have a bread maker, but i reckon it's more fun to make it by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, me again! I also make my tomato sauce for the pizza.

    Saute an onion or two and some garlic for about five minutes.
    Add a can or two of chopped tomatoes.
    Also herbs - I like to use some or all of basil, oregano, mixed herbs (depending what i grab out the cupboard).
    Simmer for at least twenty minutes (you can make this while the dough is rising). Until the liquid is reduced a bit, but you can choose how thick you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy, I'm going to give those new recipes a try! Thanks, Karen and Deb!
    Maria, I've never seen frozen pizza dough before. That would work great for those really busy days. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails