*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 3

Yesterday we did go to a few garage sales. It was hot and sticky outside though and the kids started to complain almost right away. The prices were quite high on items so I didn't get half of what I wanted. Yesterday I told you that I had $30 reserved from my April garage sale that I was not counting towards the tally of this month since it had been reserved for garage sailing for two months. Well, it turns out that it was $32. But my aunt made a point that if I am trying to live off $1,200 for the month that any "extra" money should still count towards the total. So the garage sale stuff counts. Anyway, I spent $13 and got:
It's not the best picture but I tried to cram everything in together. One wall plaque hanging and one picture from Home Interiors for $2 each which look nice hanging in the dining room now. 3 Gymboree shirts, a three piece Scooby-Doo pj set, two pairs of new 2T underwear, and a pair of Gap jeans for $6.50 total. A little lined basket for 50 cents. Four children's books for 25 cents each. And a Sesame Street Saxophone for Joe for $1.
Becca bought some things for herself but she had money saved from our garage sale as well.
We brought our own soda with us in the car and just picked up a sandwich for each of us from McDonald's $1 menu, so that was $5.35. We also put $20 of gas into the van. Which means that we spent a total of $25.35. The $13 garage sale items leaves us with $698.92 for the month.
For those trying to cut costs in everyday living, garage sales are the way to go. Home decorating can be done very cheaply by picking up items that match your home decor. Kids clothing is the best deal as you can get name brand clothing for pennies on the dollar. Instead of spending $20 for a new Gymboree shirt you can pay 50 cents to a $1. My kids are so rough on clothing that I would feel sick to pay $20 on something that they may ruin the first or second time they wear it. For the clothing that they do manage to miss ruining, I resell it at my own garage sale and often price it at more than what I paid, so I am essentially making money on the clothes that I buy for the kids. I found almost my whole summer wardrobe at garage sales this past spring. A bunch of Gap tops (that were just bought last summer, according to the tags inside) for 25 cents to $1. Shorts and capris for $1 or less. It was nice to upgrade my wardrobe for less than $10.
Tomorrow will be the day for all of you who are also doing this challenge alongside me to update us on your own progress. You'll be able to leave an update in my comments tomorrow as well as a link to your blog, if you are blogging about this experience as well.

2 comments:

  1. I finally wrote my initial post for the challenge! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tracking! Isn't it nice to find ways to save a few dollars somewhere (like the partial meal at McD's) and realize that it makes a difference?

    Our garage sale shopping has been less than stellar. Prices seem really high this year.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails