*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 17

We are still at $246.54 left for the month. Since we are over half way through the month (two weeks from today the challenge will be over!) I think that we may be able to make it!

One thing that I wanted to mention is that had I waited a month or two for this challenge I probably would have saved more at the grocery store because our garden would be producing. The following photos were taken on April 20th, which shows just a few small plants emerging:



We do raised bed gardening and in such a small space I am able to grow quite a bit by planting things early in spring, late in spring, and late summer to get three separate crops of produce. Right now we aren't getting anything out of the garden except a few late radishes. In a month or two we will be munching on brussell sprouts, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and more which will save us a lot at the grocery store.


I will post photos of what our garden looks like now later this week. It has been so rainy the past week that it is full of weeds so I need to get out there and weed it before I snap some photos. I can't wait for summer produce and raising it in your backyard is the cheapest option for getting fresh, organic vegetables and fruits.

How is your garden growing this summer?

3 comments:

  1. I cant wait to see the pics of your garden. We are doing one and the only thing that is growing are the jalapeno peppers, but I am mad because they are not hot. Tracy pulled some onions up the other night and they smelled awesome but they were the size of a dime.. Oh well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get behind this gardening thing. Do you have any recommendations on how to get started? I need absolute beginner information and it's all so overwhelming!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy- I would say start small and add on every year. We started with two small 4x4 boxes and gradually added on. The easiest way for someone to start is just to get several pots and plant tomatoes or other herbs and/or vegetables in them and placing them on a patio or in the yard. Just one or two tomato plants in pots can produce all the tomatoes a family needs for a month or two so that is some savings! You could have a small pot for lettuce, small pot of tomatoes, etc. And kids especially like to help out if they can grow a pot of something themselves!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails