*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 26: LOSER! FAILURE!

Yep, we blew the budget. We are complete losers and failures. Okay, okay, I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I blame hubby. Just kidding...I think. :)



Today hubby got $6 in gas for his car and we were out of any vegetables and fruit and it was hot and sticky and I didn't feel like cooking anything so I picked up carrots, celery, grapes, sweet corn, bananas, and a few things to make whole wheat chicken wraps (no cooking involved). These are all things I won't have to pick up when I do my weekly grocery trip tomorrow but at $26.67 it put us $19.61 OVER budget.



We didn't make the $1,200 challenge. We were close, with just five days left in the month. I will still continue to keep track of what we spend this month, to see how far over budget we go.



I've learned a lot this month though, and plan to take what I learned this month and apply it to August when I try it again (if hubby agrees). Maybe $1,200 will never be our low number...maybe $1,300 or $1,400 will be. Or maybe we can tweak it a little and really get down to $1,200. I'll be sharing more of what I learned later this week.

I have to say that I am still proud of us. With this being the first month in really trying to cut back we did pretty well. Even with having to do a little more grocery shopping later today (updates later) I don't think that we will go more than $100 over budget so a family of 5 living on just $1,300 for a month wasn't too shabby. :)

2 comments:

  1. Im proud of you. I think this was still a very successful effort. As a family we live on that budget in 2 weeks.Our food bill is almost $400 a week for a family of 6. Well done. I will look forward to reading about what you learned & using a few more of your thrifty tips.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be proud! A lot of people couldn't do that! I think it's great to admit that maybe $1300 or $1400 is a better goal. I can't wait to do the $400 healthy food diet challenge with you next month!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails