*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Stillness

This past weekend found me at a Yoga retreat, learning stillness. It was an overnight stay at the beautiful Shalom Retreat Center,
which has such a rich history of being a Motherhouse for sisters and later a boarding school. I walked around the building in awe several times.


The yoga room was relaxing and peaceful. Truly a place to just BE.
It was a spur of the moment decision for me to attend. I know the yoga instructor - she is an amazing woman and I would love to think of her as a mentor but don't feel worthy of that - and when I asked about the retreat next year, thinking it was full for this year, she mentioned having an opening due to a cancellation. The pieces just fell into place for me to be there.  
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." J.R.R. Tolkien 

I was swept off on adventure, beauty, and reflection. It was a much needed time of healing for me. 
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

The women there each had a story. Each had a beauty of their own, each had compassion and a heart lit from within. 

I'll write more on this soon; I'm still processing my own thoughts on this precious weekend. To really be alone with yourself is the perfect time to connect with God. It makes you realize why so many monks and sisters live a solitary lifestyle. It's funny that just when I was thinking about this my little sister posted this verse on Facebook:  
'Return to me,' declares the Lord Almighty, 'and I will return to you,' says the Lord Almighty. ~Zechariah 1:3
 I never lost God. But I did get better reacquainted with Him this past weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails