*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Sunday, April 11, 2010

Garage Sale Tally

I finally have the energy to write a post about how our garage sale went. It is an exhausting task setting up and taking down all that stuff everyday (the pitfalls of having a too small garage and needing to have a yard sale). But it was well worth it.

We were swamped with customers an hour before opening time on Thursday so we were setting up and waiting on customers so at least two hours. I forgot to snap a picture of the before but luckily my sister didn't and got the two photos below.

They were both snapped within the first hour of opening so you can see the shear amount of stuff that we had (this was a multi-family garage sale). There are also tables extending out along the sidewalk that you aren't able to see and a hanging rack with clothing as well.

Thursday we started setting up at 8:00am and by 9:30 there were several customers. Our "open hours" for the day was 11:00 to 6:00 and we had a rush of people all day. Only once was there a lull where no one was at the sale and that probably lasted five minutes at the most. At times we had cars parked up and down the street so there had to be 15 or more people shopping at once. There were lines of people waiting to be checked out, people grabbing boxes to hold what they were buying, and we were still trying to set up! My mom managed the checking out while my aunt and I continued to unload boxes and try to find room on tables and shelves to put items. The first day I made a grand total of $107.15 and Becca made $1.50 and Jacob made $6.30 on toys that they sold. The bad thing about Thursday is that the wind picked up as the day went on and it was COLD. We had blankets out there and our hands turned numb. I would say it was around 40 degrees by the end of the day so not an enjoyable experience but it didn't keep the crowds away.

Friday was slower paced but still busy. Again, we rarely had a lull when no one was shopping at the sale. It was sunny and warm so that probably helped out. Friday hours was 8am to 5pm. I made $39.55 and Jacob made $3 and Becca $1.50.

Saturday was 8am to noon. Again, another beautiful day and we had a steady stream of customers. We priced all clothing and books at half price to move items and got rid of a lot. Almost all the clothing sold and there wasn't a whole lot left at the end of the sale. Yesterday I made $38.65 and Becca made $5.05 and Jacob $5.80. My grand total for the three days was $182.35. For all the families involved we raked in a total of over $1,700 in this three day sale. Pretty impressive!

Final picture of the tables before closing time:
That was all that was left, along with another small bookcase with paperbacks on that is out of shot. I had brought nine huge boxes, one large bag, a coffee table, small desk, high chair, rug, and children's activity push cart and left with just one box items.
The kids are going to save their money for this coming weekend when there are city wide sales so that they can buy any item they may come across that they just have to have. I will use some of the money I made for buying clothing that the children need at these upcoming garage sales.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I wish I lived near you! I totally <3 yard/garage sales. A few summers ago I picked up a huge box of little boys clothes for $20, and there was enough clothes in it to suit my little guy for the entire summer :) Congrats on doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that was a huge sale! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love getting paid to clear junk out of your house? I can hardly wait for it to get warm enough for us to have our first garage sale of the season!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails