*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, April 2, 2010

Frugal Friday: Hair Cutting at Home

This is fairly common knowledge - it is cheaper for you to cut your families hair than for them to get it cut at a salon or barber.

I am lucky in the fact that my hubby grew up in a home where his mother often cut their hair. Before we were married he had invested in a hair clippers and had been buzzing his own hair, so that continued after we were married. I help trim up any strays or shave his neck but since his hair is kept so short it is easy to maintain. Considering that men's haircuts are $9 here and most men get a cut every 6 weeks or so that is a big savings.

I cut the boys hair too. In the summer months it is a buzz cut which keeps them cool and also makes it easier to wash out all the dirt and sand that they get into while playing. In the winter I will give them a long buzz cut or just trim it shorter every few weeks. They don't have bowl cuts or anything that makes them unstylish. Sometimes I will get creative and experiment with their hair; for awhile Jacob was sporting a faux-hawk which he got rave reviews on. Kids hair cuts are $6-$10 in the area so that is another big savings.

I dabble with Rebecca's hair from time to time but she has had two professional cuts. Once when she got gum stuck in her hair and I was afraid I was going to make her bald and another time when she cut her own hair and had a huge chunk missing in the front. Both times the professional hair stylist was able to correct the mistake and make her hairstyle look cut, not like a corrected mistake. I don't think she would have fared so well in my hands those two times. I consider it money well spent.

I am not brave enough to attempt to trim my own hair, except for the bangs a few times. I do go to a professional. I don't go nearly as often as the average person...around once or twice a year. I get it cut into a semi-short style and then usually let it grow out before getting another new cut. I just went a few weeks ago and spent $18 for a style that I am unhappy with, so it isn't always roses even when you pay someone for a cut. I decided I will be growing my bangs out and once they reach a good length I will go for a new cut. I will be prepared next time with a picture of exactly what I want.

Highlights and coloring. I've done highlights twice before. I was happy with the do-it-yourself cap highlighting kit that I purchased for $8 but it took awhile to pull the hair through the cap and that was fairly annoying to me. I've also done the more blocky type highlights that you just apply and wasn't too happy with the results. Since I have been noticing more grey hairs (gasp...I'm only 27!) I think with my next hair appointment I will be trying professional highlights. I will have to call around to find the most decent price. I also like the lighter (blond) highlights but read that if you are getting lighter highlights in dark hair the upkeep to make it look good is at least every six weeks. If you get a darker highlight, such as a caramel color you can go longer in between applications.

I've read tips that if you live in a town with a beauty school you can get cut, permed, and colored for a very good price. The nearest beauty school is fairly far from here so not a good option for me but if you have one in your area you may want to check it out. Remember that you will have students practicing on you so it can be a good thing...or a very bad thing!

Do you cut your family's hair? Are you a brave soul that even cuts your own hair? Anything that I left out here?

5 comments:

  1. I never would have cut hubby's hair, my kids hair or my own hair. If you are brave enough to try and the results are good, that's great but I would have been afraid to try. My kids would have thrown a fit once they started school. Today hubby, just goes to Bo Rics because he doesn't have all that much hair anymore and he refuses to pay the $35 he used to pay at a salon for a more stylish cut. I tell him that you get what you pay for but this is a battle I can't win. I got my first gray hairs in my early thirties and have been having my hair colored for a little over 25 yrs now. I would never do this myself. Every six weeks I get my hair cut and colored. It costs me $100 including tip, which I think is pretty standard around here. It may sound like alot to you, but it's worth every penny to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're home hair cutters. my husband is a skinhead, so that's super easy. get out the clippers and he's set. our toddler is terrified of haircuts so i trim his up when he's asleep. his hair is uneven and comical at times but the kid is 3, he doesn't care. i cut my own hair too. i go in 3/4 year cycles. i shave it and then let it grow for a few years. when i have a good length ponytail i pull it all back and cut it off behind the elastic. that gives me a great looking asymmetrical chin length bob. i used to dye my hair when i was younger, now i don't bother. i'm beginning to notice more grey but they don't bother me. i've had $150+ haircuts in the past. yeah they're nice but when you're a sahm and spend a good part of your day covered in boogies, paint, glue, and mystery stains you don't really need a fancy haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should post about this. We just started doing home haircuts. My son is 6 and I've been doing his for a couple months now, and my husband's to. I got a like-new clipper set off ebay for $10 shipped! Best thing I ever bought.
    They more than paid for themselves in the first use!

    And really, it wasn't so much the cost (the barber shop charges $11 for a little boy's haircut here though!) but the fact my friend who is a hair stylist, works out of her house but has another job to, and she's just so busy, seems like we could never get in to see her often enough.

    I might trim mine here & there, but generally I go to her. We often trade things - like recently I traded her some furniture for a perm.

    I do color it myself.

    But anyway, I've become quite comfortable using the clippers and sometimes their hair looks better after my haircuts than the "pros". We've already saved a ton of money, and no appointments to make and drive to, just get them out whenever they need a trim. My only regret is not trying it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,
    this is your moms friend Lisa. I too go to the vo-tech school, I started this year. At our votech school the teachers are there for every move the students make and if they don't have time to complete the procedures, the teachers finish it. I have been very happy with my results. Our hair cuts are $4. Coloring along with a hair cut is $15 and highlights are $18, which I have done 1 time and will do in May for the summer. Pedicures and manicures are $3 which I have't treated myself to yet. I have been happy with my results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Lisa, that is a great price for hair cuts, coloring, and highlights! I wish that we had one closer, but doubt the prices would be that cheap anyway. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails