*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wholesome Wednesday: Breast Is Best

It can't be denied that breastfeeding is far superior than formula feeding. The nutrients of breastmilk are specifically designed for each specific baby, and can not be duplicated in formula ingredients. The health benefits of breastmilk far outweigh those of formula feeding and it is proven that breastfed babies have lower instances of allergies, obesity, ear infections, doctor visits, and illnesses. The IQ of breastfed babies also tend to be higher. God designed the womb to nurture our babies for nine months and designed our breasts to nurture them for months after their birth.



With that said, I am not here to knock mothers who bottlefeed, whether due to being unable to breastfeed or by choice not to. Due to medical reasons there are many mothers who are unable to supply enough milk, babies who have dietary issues that require a special formula, or a mother on a certain medication which would make their breastmilk unsafe for the baby. In those instances it is a must to supply your baby with nourishment and if that involves relying on formula, than so be it. Those who choose not to breastfeed have hopefully researched both the pros and cons of the decision. Because let's face it, while the formula companies want you to believe that their product is just as good as breastmilk, even they must have a disclaimer on their sites stating that breastmilk is best. Too many people out there are afraid to step on toes and try to make it seem as though both methods of feeding an infant are just as good as the other. Which in turn makes breastfeeding vs. formula now a question of preference, rather than one of health. I heard one mother remark "I don't have to breastfeed as formula is free through WIC". As though breastfeeding was a matter of saving money and nothing more.



Besides the health benefits to the newborn, breastfeeding also creates a strong bond between mother and baby. While the same can happen with a bottlefed baby, it is documented that it happens much quicker between a breastfeeding mother and child. There are health benefits to the mother as well. Breastfeeding helps tone the uterus back up after giving birth and also helps the pregnancy weight fall off quicker. For every year that a woman breastfeeds the percentage of possibly getting breast cancer is decreased.



This is not to say that those who are unable to breastfeed or choose not to are going to have sickly, stupid, fat babies with to whom they haven't bonded. But their babies are going to be smart and healthy babies in spite of formula, not because of it. And there are sickly, obese children who were indeed breastfeed. But every study has founded that breastfeeding is the best start for an infant. The majority of bottle fed babies are going to turn out to be healthy little babies with a wonderful relationship with their mother. But for those who choose to bottlefed, whether for convenience of not having to be with baby 24/7, feeling uncomfortable with breastfeeding, zero support, or a whole host of other reasons...one must weigh the pros and cons. Because there are pros - you don't have to be tied down (though one who breastfeeds is just as easily able to leave baby with others by pumping or occasionally supplementing with formula), you don't have to worry about leaking breasts (this subsides within a few weeks though!), breast infections (not everyone gets them, I've nursed three babies and haven't had one yet!). For me, the cons outweigh the pros - the decreased health benefits of formula, the outrageous price, the time it takes to bottle feed (mixing formula, washing and sterilizing bottles and nipples, warming the formula). Again, I do not look down on those who choose not to breastfeed. Everyone has their reasons and everyone has what works for them, but I do not feel it is fair for many parenting magazines to say that formula is just as good for babies when it is a proven fact that it is not. It boils down to the fact that formula is not as healthy as breastfeeding. This is not a debate about whether one is a better mother for breastfeeding (of course not!) but rather of making an informed decision about the nutrition of your infant.



Breastfeeding is making a slow comeback. A hundred years ago it was basically what everyone did unless there was a medical reason they were unable to do, and then it was often done by a wet nurse or strange formulas were made up. Then, was it in the 40's?, that the formula companies and doctors started pushing the fact that formula was better than breastmilk and many women were discouraged to breastfeed. Then we had women leaving the home and going to the workplace and breastfeeding and working didn't seem to coexist. Now we are starting to get on even playing ground again. Many women who work are able to breastfeed for their six week postpartum leave, and then pump when they return to work. Studies are coming out every day providing us with the facts of how breastfeeding is the healthiest form of nourishment for an infant.

We do still have a long way to go to go as many women give up breastfeeding altogether for the sole reason of not feeling comfortable around others while breastfeeding. One could pump and offer the infant a bottle while in public to be more comfortable, but feeding our baby in public should not be frowned upon any more than feeding our baby a bottle in public should be. I grew up in a breastfeeding household and had many relatives who also breastfed so I was never uncomfortable around breastfeeding mothers and have adjusted well to feeding my own children in public. We must admit that it is rare to see a mother breastfeeding in public and so women contemplating breastfeeding don't have much to go on, unless they join their nearest Le Leche League group (highly recommended, I wish there was one near here). There are some who find it disgusting that a woman would breastfeed in public, as though it is a peep show that they may run across. Actually, breastfeeding is done conspicuously and usually baby is under a blanket so the majority of passersby don't even realize what a mother is doing and the other ones don't catch a glimpse of anything but a baby. There are many companies that make nursing clothing which makes it even easier to nurse without pulling your shirt up at all. If you choose to breastfed, do not be embarrassed at feeding your baby when he/she is hungry. Who knows, maybe you can be a breastfeeding advocate just by allowing others to see a breastfeeding mother!

How were your children fed? What was the major factor in your decision?

18 comments:

  1. I'll comment, although I usually avoid "controversial" topics like this.

    My oldest son (12 yrs) was breastfed for 3 months, then formula fed. I had very little support, got a terrible flu, he was a bad nurser, the list goes on. I quit and didn't feel guilty at all.

    My second son (9 yrs) was breastfed likewise for about 3 to 6 months. I had a 3 yr old to keep up with, was trying (crazily) to pump after I fed him (to build up stock, so we could go out sometime), and just got tired of the extra work. Again, I quit and didn't feel guilty at all.

    My third son (4.5 yrs) was breastfed for over 3 years. We overcame 7 weeks of NICU (pumping every 3 hours, even at night), then 5 weeks of using a nipple shield (because of the bottles in the NICU) before he was nursing directly. He went on to nurse *very very often* until he was a bit over 3 years, when I finally put giant bandages on his nursies and told him they were broken. I could not stand one single more touch of his lips to my breasts. And I quit without feeling guilty at all.

    All the boys are smart, healthy, and relatively allergy free. But, yes, the closest bond is with my youngest, the extended nurser. I'm glad we nursed as long as we did, AND I'm glad I quit when I did.

    Breastfeeding can enhance or ruin a mommy/baby relationship. If the mom is resentful or annoyed or irritated by the time spent with baby, if she feels 'touched out' after time with him, then it can be best for her sanity and their relationship for her to stop nursing.

    A different sort of health to consider, but a valid point and one that *must* be brought out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nursed my son for 3 years and 8 months. I too never had mastitis or any other real issues. And for whatever reason I never had one person tell me to cover up or that I couldn't nurse in public. (I was very careful to avoid a lot of flashing)I had some pat responses ready too. Now when I see nursing moms I always try to give them props.

    There are lots of cool online forums for nursing, mothering.com has tons of awesome ladies with tons of awesome advice.

    When my son was born I went to weekly nursing groups at the hospital where he was born, which was a huge help, they had a lactation counselor and a scale so you could check to see babe was gaining weight.

    I chose to nurse because that's what boobies are for right? It wasn't easy, it wasn't pleasant at the start, (lots of pain, funky latch issues, bleeding) but we persevered and it was awesome. I knew it was best, it was easy in the middle of the night, it was free, and it was cool to be able to continue what I felt I started by being pregnant with him, keeping him alive with my body. Very powerful and empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I formula fed all three. I went back to work after 6 weeks with the first two and well less than a week after the third and yeah I could have pumped but I've known moms that did that and it actually ended up taking even more time away from them spending with their babies as it was twice as much work as either method alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a 2 month old, and have so far successfully exclusively breastfed.

    I think a lot of women's problems with breastfeeding comes from a lack of knowledge and support. My Mom EBFed me for 2 years, so for me it was just a natural decision. My husband was very supportive of it, and has surprised me when I nurse in public. I try to be as discreet as possible, but I have a baby with a temper and she's only 2 months old, so we still have trouble latching occasionally. When this happens, I simply don't care, I have a boob hanging out and I'm attempting to latch her. People can look or not look, once she's latched, then my shirt comes back down so that she's covered. Boobs were made for nursing, sin made them scandalous, but I don't feel like I'm sinning by breastfeeding! If I were showing them for someone elses benefit, sure, but I'm doing it for my DAUGHTER. Surprisingly, my husband, who is SUPER protective of me, has no problem with it. He feels the same way, that its about our daughter, and about meeting her needs.

    I've dealt with super sore nipples (thats something I DID NOT expect. Holy crap those first few weeks SUCK), a milk blister (ow,ow, ow, ow) and a huge dip in supply (we ALL got a stomach virus after Christmas). I try to counsel some of my friends who are breastfeeding so that they to can be successful, but I try not to push or to nag them.

    In my OWN personal opinion about myself, I believe its my duty to breastfeed my children as long as possible (okay, or around 2-3 whenever they self wean around there) for the health benefits. Just like I believed it was my duty to have a natural childbirth. My choices aren't for everyone, I realize this, but they are right for me and my family.

    I try to breastfeed in public as much as possible (discreetly!) to let other mothers know that its OKAY! Don't be ashamed!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TexasHeather-
    I agree with that other con that you listed about breastfeeding. I never feel touched out, resentful, or annoyed by breastfeeding until around 18 months. I actually do get to that point and then start a slow and easy weaning process. But you are right, if those feelings arise when one is nursing a newborn it would be better to bottlefeed and have a good relationship than try to continue to breastfeed and just continue to feel resentful. Thanks for bringing up that point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breast fed all my kiddos including my adopted daughter...nursing rocks! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nursed my four for 15 months, 20 months, all eternity, just kidding, it only felt that way, and 22 months. I got to the don't-touch-me-or-I-will-scream point with the last two, and started the weaning process. Two of my kids were VERY hard, my first, becuase I didn't know what I was doing, and the 4th because he was allergic to everything.

    I think anyone who has struggled with nursing should have total sympathy with those who try and can't do it. It's not "natural" and easy for everyone, and every mom needs support with every child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I normally try not to read posts regarding this issue because I had a very very hard time breastfeeding my first and the lactation consultants at our hospital were horrible. My husband supported my decision but obviously doesn't know how to help. I ended up quitting after 2 weeks and felt horrible about it. I finally got the point were I knew I was doing what was best for my baby by feeding him. It wasn't breast milk because no one would help me figure it out. With my second I tried and again had a horrible time. He was on formula too. They are both very healthy boys and very smart. I would have loved to breastfeed them both, but it wasn't working out. Hopefully, if we have #3 i'll be able to breastfeed.
    Thank you for not putting anyone down in your post. So many times I see people say how horrible moms are for not breastfeeding and it's a horrible thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I nursed my first daughter for a year without supplementing at all. The first month was the worst! She latched on wrong in the delivery room and gave me a hickey on my nipple (OUCH!) and then got thrush, giving it to me (Double ouch! I didn't even know that was possible!). I never stopped leaking if I was away for longer than usual, but despite all that, I loved it and nursed my second child as well. The second child had reflux and was a TERRIBLE nurser! Within the first week home, I got a clogged duct and had to take antibiotics. We managed to nurse exclusively for 5 months, when I suddenly went from getting 4 oz. or so pumping to getting less than one, so had to supplement after that. I continued to nurse until she was 9 months old, when she refused to nurse in the middle of the night and I had to get up to make a bottle. At that point, I decided that she would be officially weaned. I have to admit that after easily nursing my first one for a year, that I felt pretty guilty for having to wean the second one sooner than I hoped, but she really did it herself, so it couldn't be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am exclusively breastfeeding my first, who is 4 months old. He has reflux and a dairy & soy allergy (which means I eat nothing with dairy or soy products in it). Despite those 2 challenges, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I love my little milk monster :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I breastfed all three of my sons. The older two self-weaned, which was great. It was gradual, and to their own liking.

    The third had to be quickly weaned at 3 months old. I had to go on medication for epilepsy (adult onset, I had no idea!), and had 4 days to wean him from exclusively breastfed to formula. I had some saved in the freezer, but only a few full days worth. No need to pump much since I'm a SAHM and always with my guys.

    One of the most painful things I've been through, and that's just the physical part of it! Emotionally, so very hard.

    And to make everything worse (really, within a week seizure, epilepsy diagnosis, and weaning of my infant) were the HORRIBLE comments I got from people. I was told that taking medication wasn't worth it. I was lectured when someone saw me pouring formula into a bottle. All kinds of things.

    Still on meds, I will be for a number of years before we can test to see if I can wean off of those! But so glad my little guy is on solids so I can stop justifying myself!

    I get that breast is best. I agree. But random strangers who would rub it in, or even well-meaning friends...sometimes it's not worth the lecture!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I breastfed all three of my boys. The first for 8 months. I went back to school when he was 5 months and didn't pump as much as I should have, so the milk dried up too fast for me.
    Number 2 bf for 17 months. I weaned him when I got pregnant again.
    Number 3 bf for 2 years. I wanted to go longer, but he didn't. He was quite happy just to cuddle and not nurse. I was sad when he weaned as he is my last and wanted to hold on to my baby a bit longer. But it worked so well because he made the choice.

    The one thing I have had an issue with is that I live in an area where no one breastfeeds. And while I had no problems so I didn't need to rely on LCs for help, I had looks from people when I would excuse myself to feed the baby. Everyone wondered why I didn't just give him a bottle. Because of that, I never felt comfortable NIP.

    I did actually have one other issue. Number 3 had a tongue tie. The first two weeks were torture every time he latched on. If he had been first, I don't think I would have stuck it out. But because I knew what a good nursing relationship was like, I wanted it again with him so I dealt with the cracked, bleeding nipples until we got used to latching on correctly with the tie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was pregnant with my daughter, my first baby, I was determined NOT to breastfeed. Ew! Gross! How demanding! I didn't want to be tied down being the only one nursing my baby! I didn't want to leak milk everywhere! No one in my family nursed at all. The only babysitting experiences I had with breastfed babies were bad ones (like babies who wouldn't take a bottle).

    At the last minute, I decided to *try* it.

    Breastfeeding was horrible those first 6 weeks. I had a bad latch, I got thrush, my baby wanted to nurse 45 minutes out of every hour. I was tired, worried if she was getting enough milk, my nipples cracked and bled. I cried when it was time to feed her.

    Then I went to a LLL meeting and all my feelings changed in an instant. They helped me fix my latch, helped me talk to my doctor about yeast, and gave me support telling me about all the wonderful things to come about nursing.

    And they were right :) I nursed my daughter for 27 months.

    And happily nursed my son just as long. Now I am a huge advocate for breastfeeding! I try to help new moms NOT have the same problems I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...I am impressed by the length of time that a lot of you mama's bf for. The longest I've lasted was about 11 months. My milk on the other hand lasted and lasted and lasted....so next time around, if that happens, I may be inclined to try to nurse longer. My First born I nursed for about 8 months is was quite sore and painful for the first 3 weeks but improved greatly and was very enjoyable. Toward the end of out time he was gettin to be busy and nosy and I was uncomfortable with showing the world my meagre sized chest, so we mutually stopped....I realize that may be hard to understand but he just sort of quit and I didn't really continue to produce...sort of a happy ending. My next one I only nursed for 4 months....due to the fact that my husband and I went away for aweek...looking back I should have tried hard to continue but I didn't and can't undo the past. I would never recommend quitting at 4 months to anyone. It was one of the most painful experiences I have had. It was horrible actually. I didn't get mastitis but man did it hurt. I tried to wean her gently but at 4 months all she was getting was my milk, so that was a bit difficult.
    My last child was very slow to gain weight and I was threatened that I would need to bottle feed...but I rebelled and pumped and brought up my supply and when he turned 2 weeks things turned around and he started drinking on his own without being forced....he was born at 38 weeks and it was kind of like he wasn't ready to be here until 40 weeks. But next time I know and I will be firmer with all the lovely public health advocates who come around and stand up more for myself. Anyway, it was very painful for me to nurse for at least the first 5 weeks. I did get Dr. Newman's nipple cream prescription and applied it all the time b/c I was desperate. I have very fair skin and nursing is just very painful....I also seem to be prone to benign lumps in my breast which I think seem to impact that discomfort....anyway, after about 2 months things seem to settle down and work fine. I do love the ease that comes with nursing...not so much the pain, but it allows me to encourage others who are in pain or who have babies who aren't growing as quick....soory this got kind of long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lets try this again....

    I have breastfeed all 4 (and still BF my 7mo. old) of my children. They never had formula or bottles went from boob to sippy cup. My first I BF for 15 mos, 2nd-13 mos, 3rd-18mos. All self weaned.

    Nope it wasn't easy at first, but who said being a mommy was easy? If mommy's would stick to it, I promise it gets easier. See a Lactation Consultant.

    I think people quit to soon, make excuses after excuses to why they couldn't.

    I also know some moms that never even tried to BF. If you know breastmilk is better for your baby wouldn't you want whats best?

    Breastfed is Best Fed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a VERY young mother my first go round. 17 to be exact. I am very proud that at the age I was, that I breastfed my son until he was 2. Formula never crossed his lips. My second son I BF for about 5 months & had to stop. I just wasn't producing what he needed despite what I did to make more. He was hungry & wasn't gaining any weight. I am still riding my guilt trip this minute & he's 8, ha! It is something that I look back on & I wouldn't trade anything in the world for being able to do that for them. When I have baby fever, that is what really pushes me over the edge...the thought of BFing is such an emotional memory. If I ever were to adopt an infant, I would take the necessary steps so that I could breastfeed again. To have that bond is just an awesome feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elizabeth, thanks for the sweet note : )

    Amanda, I hope you can let go of your guilt -- sounds like you did the best you could and clearly love your sons. Sometimes it's hard and the emotional health of fighting a losing battle wins out. I know; I've been on both sides of that.

    Tracy, I hear what you're saying, and I know you weren't directly talking to me (or maybe you were), but I stand by my "emotional health of the mama" comment. If it is so hard that a mama is angry/resentful/tired out/whatever, she will maybe be a better mom to just give up. Maybe that is just "my excuse" for quitting w/my 1st two, but I stand by it firmly.

    Organic produce, meat, dairy, etc. is probably BEST for our families, too, but the alternative is widely accepted and still healthful. I think Breast vs. Formula is the same thing. Sure, breast is best, but that does not mean formula is "the worst". The worst would be to not feed the baby, to neglect him, to stick with breast when it is making you hate your kid (believe me, I struggled with that one, too), to fall into PPD partly b/c of those struggles, etc, etc, etc.

    Elizabeth -- thanks for a well-balanced post. Hope you don't mind me chiming in with more comments :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails