*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, December 12, 2009

Homeschooling

I have been intending to write a post about my reasons for homeschooling for some time now. Just yesterday, a blog that I am an avid reader of, had a homeschooling discussion. So while my thoughts are fresh I will put my reasons down on paper (err...I mean, screen).

It seems that there are three groups of people when it comes to homeschooling - those who believe it is the only way, those who believe it is harmful to children, and then those who really have no opinion one way or the other. I do not believe that it is the right way or the only way that a child should be schooled. But I do believe that it is the right way for my family for the time being. I am not dead set in my ways that I would never consider sending my children to school if they asked or if homeschooling wasn't working out, but for now I know that homeschooling is right for our family.

Is it about the education aspect? No, not for us. I believe that the majority of children who go to school get a good education. I do appreciate that homeschooling allows more freedom to tailor the teaching towards the way the student learns or specifically what the student is interested in, and can better monitor when a child is falling behind, but for the most part my reasons for homeschooling are not about the education.

It boils down to the fact that I do not want someone else raising my children. I also do not want my children to be so highly influenced by their peers at such a tender age. While there are children who are able to come into their own and blossom and not succumb to peer pressure in school, it is rare. It happens in site of school, not because of it. The majority of students tend to follow the crowd and go with the flow in order to fit in. A video that a high school student from our local high school posted on YouTube showcases that point exactly. He asked students what they hoped for for their school, or wished, and the majority of the students pointed out that they wished all the students would accept others for who they are, not have the cliques that they do, and stop being so mean. That video highlights exactly why I do not think highly of peer pressure or school situations. Students in group situations like that are mean and controlling. You either fit in or are the outcast, very few fit between those lines.

I do not want to thrust my child out when he/she is still learning about who he/she is to see them being influenced by other children with completely different morals and values. While I am not planning on brainwashing my children to conform to what I believe, I do plan on teaching them my morals and values, as any parent should. They won't be in a bubble and will learn about other's viewpoints and other beliefs around the world, but they will be raised with a Christian upbringing. And when they are old enough they can form their own beliefs and values they are free to do so, but will hopefully have a strong foundation already built. I don't think that learning swear words or what sex is about on the playground is appropriate. I don't think that being made fun of for what you wear or how you look makes you stronger. I don't think that being obsessed with boys at a young age or dating at age 14 is "just being a kid". I don't think that going to wild parties or experimenting with alcohol, drugs, or sex as a teenager is just part of growing up. And children are immersed in this in a school setting. Yes, many children will graduate high school unscathed and a stronger person, but many won't. Do I expect that all homeschoolers turn out as moral and superior human beings? No, but I don't see as many homeschoolers following the "in crowd".

It's been said many times that a child that is homeschooled doesn't know what the real world is about and that you have to be a part of that world to be able to deal with it. Huh? Really? Is the real world all about a room of same-aged peers? I thought the real world was about people of all races, religions, and ages. Homeschoolers tend to be able to interact with people of all ages and feel comfortable talking to an 80 year old woman or a ten year old kid. While public schoolers can also achieve this, I find it more common to see them only wanting to hang out with their friends, otherwise, being stuck at home is "booooooring" and so "uncool". If we truly want to use the anthology above, then would it not be productive to say that we should stick our husbands in a house with beautiful half-dressed women for hours on end, day after day and just totally trust that they are strong enough to avoid the temptation? Or do we realize that the way to help someone stay strong (whether it is our children, our husbands, or ourselves) is to avoid temptation in the first place?!

Are my children going to be isolated and have no public schooled friends? Of course not! Will they be subjected to temptations and certain situations during their growing up years? Certainly. But by the time that they have to face those situations I hope and pray that they will been strong enough in their convictions to say no. And they won't have to think about a whole classroom of peers haggling them if they do say no. I like to think of the anthology of the gardener: Does he plant his little sprouts directly in the ground to deal with the hot sun, strong winds, and pounding rain? Or does he tend them in his greenhouse, introduce them slowly to the weather, and only plant them outdoors when they are strong enough to shoulder the storms?

This is my view of homeschooling and peer pressure. This is why I feel homeschooling is best for us. Do not take it personally thinking that I think everyone else should be homeschooling or that public schooled kids are bad. I know many parents who are confident that their children can be in a school setting and set a good example. I know many parents who think certain things a child or teen does is just their rite of passage into adulthood. And that is okay with me, I think the choice of education and parenting are up to each individual family. This post was not to point out why homeschooling is superior (believe me, I understand that there are very bad examples of homeschoolers out there as well!), but only pointing out my reasons for choosing it for my family. I would be interested in learning your reasoning for choosing the schooling path you did for your children.

6 comments:

  1. We chose home schooling for many of the same reasons you did. But the reason, we have continued to home school for the last seven years has changed some what. First and foremost, we do it because we want our children to have a truly Catholic education centered on the fact God is and always will be the creator of all and the most important part of our lives. We also continue because we know are children are getting a superior education compared to their counterparts in public school. I disagree with the statement most children are getting a good education in school. Not that it is always the school to blame. Home schooing is superior in the fact my children get one on one time. They are able to go at their own rate whether faster or slower. I agree that not everyone who homeschools does a good job. There is the good and bad in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, of the 3 groups you mentioned, I guess I would fall somewhere between having no opinion and thinking homeschooling is harmful. I am alot older than you (62) and have 2 girls--ages 39 and 30. I did not even know homeschooling existed during most of the time my children went to school. If I were younger and had children in school now, I would never consider homeschooling unless I lived in a city with a terrible school system and could not afford Catholic school.
    You make some good points which I agree with and some I don't agree with at all. I do think homeschooled children are somewhat isolated. In my opinion, they need to be with other children. There are many good things about school which I believe can benefit children. You do not mention what enrichment programs your children are involved in. Does your daughter play soccer or any other sport? Is she in gymnastics or dance? These things are a must for children of all ages. Finally you mention nothing about college. Once a child starts school, your eye has to be on college. I know that you did not attend college and I don't agree with that at all. I know many homeschooled children go on to college and I certainly hope you will see to it that yours do too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sman104,
    Homeschooled children are with other children, just not in a school setting. Whether it be church groups, neighborhood friends, homeschooling groups, or extra-curricular activites. My oldest daughter is six and has not started any activities yet, but will be joining 4-H and we have discussed girl scouts and gymnastics. In the summer she is also invovled in swimming and Bible camp, as is my four year old. WHile I think extras such as those are wonderful and will be a good experience for my daughter and other children, I do not find them to be a must. Many parents can not afford these activities and years ago they didn't even exsist, yet the older generation has seemed to grow up just fine without them. :)
    Our children will be getting a good primary education whether they decide on college or not. But many colleges actually seek out homeschoolers and there is no problem getting a homeschooler into a college. So homeschooling does not hinder the college application process. No, I did not go to college. I got married young and knew that what I wanted was to be a wife and mother. Had I turned 18 and not gotten engaged right away I would not have waited around to "get hitched" but probably would have considered at the very least a technical school. Right now I am very satisfied in my life calling and don't need a degree to know how to do what I do. If something happens later in life where I need to support my family there are many grants for older women to apply for to get into a college. And who says there are not decent jobs out there don't don't even require a college degree?
    I do agree with you in the fact that college gives many a head start in life. Of course college graduates going into a specialized job get paid more and tend to be in the middle class or upper class, as compared to those who just have a high school diploma. But, college is not a golden key. I know many college graduates who are not at a job that is using their degree. I know many college graduates can not even find work in their field of knowledge, no matter how hard they look. I know many students who start college because it is what is expected of them and change their mind half-way through, or continually change their mind in what to study. To me, college is not a must, either. My two parents, who are both college graduates, would say the same as I did. But I will encourage my children to follow their hearts and dreams and if it is a job that requires additional schooling, then that is the direction that we will push. After all, I don't want my children to have a career that they hate just to make big bucks, I want them to be doing something they love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth it makes perfect sense..thanks for sharing!

    ~Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos on your response, Beth. Children should know that their parents are behind them for support if they do decide to further their education via college, but not think they have to go to make anything of themselves. Being a mother is the most important job on the face of the earth. They are the future of the world. We are ultimately responsible for the education of our children, even if they are going to a school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I totally agree. We HS for those same reasons. Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails