*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, March 9, 2012

Second Time Around

Jacob's chest tube is now out and he is enjoying a peaceful afternoon nap. If the x-ray later this afternoon looks good we will be going home tomorrow morning.



Once the surgeon gives his okay, the oncologist will put together the treatment plan and start chemo (I am assuming sometime next week). The oncologist has spoken to me about the treatment plan - which will involve 16 weeks of chemo (5 days on - 3 weeks off), then Jacob's stem cells will be harvested. After they have a good amount of healthy stem cells, they will freeze them and start Jacob on some pretty hard core chemotherapy. His stem cells will then be reintroduced to him. At that point, we will probably be planning on a 4 week hospital stay. I'm not sure on the time line of the whole treatment and will know more once the plans are finalized.



I've been busy these past few days learning about how to care for his dual Hickman line. It's different then a port, which is under the skin, because it is two long tubes sticking from his chest. The difference is that the dual line can handle stronger chemo, which is why a port wasn't possible. The dual line involves a lot more care - hep locking once a day, dressing changes weekly (or when it gets wet). Looks like Jacob will have to put off swimming classes for another summer. I'm beginning to remember the vast amounts of medications, shots that he needed, blood transfusions, risks of infection, other risks. I start to feel sick, overwhelmed, scared, and mad.



And then I stop. I remind myself to take it one day at a time. I tell myself we gotta do what we gotta do.

Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 4:13: "I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

We can do this.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I've not yet commented, but today I feel I must! My heart goes out to you all! You can do it! You all will get through this and please know that there is a family in California keeping you in their daily prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the details. Will continue to pray that God holds up your family and especially Jacob through all this. Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair, but we do know that He will never leave your side!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for strength for your family, Beth. All my love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for strength and courage for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lots of prayer, peace and strength being sent your way, im so glad jacob has you as his mother

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and yours are never out of my thoughts and prayers. Hope you get to go home tomorrow because we all heal better there. Sending as always Love, Light and Healing.. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and Jacob are the strongest two people I have ever known. God bless you both (and the rest of your family).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for all of you
    Kim in VA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joinging in and adding prayers from Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe we could all send Jacob postcards! I know I'd love to send him a little note, and I know how much kids love getting mail. My heart breaks for what this little man has to go through!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admit I have been neglecting my reader, I am stunned to see you right back here again. Lots and lots of prayers for you and Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been out of town for two weeks and today is the first chance i have had to read your blog; I am sooo sorry that the cancer is back (or is it a new one?). I will keep you and Joe in my prayers along with the rest of your family. I wish I knew something else I could do for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending prayers for Jacob and strength for your family.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails