*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, September 16, 2011

Shopaholic on a Budget

I've been having fun shopping this week. I bought new furniture, new shoes and clothes for the kids, and a new purse for myself. New to us, anyway.

I won't lie - I love to shop. I do get a thrill when I find that thing that I never knew I needed. Have I mentioned before that I have an addiction to kids clothing? Oh, I have?! That's right...it's no secret!

There is no fault in liking nice things or enjoying that thrill of the hunt - as long as it's not breaking the bank, that is. As much as I get new (to us) items, I'm surprised that my husband doesn't complain about his wife being a shopaholic. Oh, that's right, I forgot that while I shop a lot I spend only a very small part of our budget on the actual purchase.

I'm a bargain shopper and often pay much less than 90% of what an item cost originally, mainly because I do my shopping second hand, though I'm not above shopping off clearance racks and actually getting something new at a steep discount. I just can't (and won't!) pay full price when I know a week, month, or year down the road I can find it for 90% cheaper. I almost always find what I am looking for if I just wait a bit for it.

That shopping I did this week? Garage sale shopping! Here are some of my finds from yesterday:
Two Mini Boden shirts for Joe for $2 each, Keen sandals for Joe for $3, and Birckenstocks for Becca for $1

This buffet type table for $20. The finish looks splotchy in this photo but it is not like that in real life. Ignore the missing drawer pull...it just got knocked off during hauling and is sitting on the counter to be put back on! This is one heavy piece but well made, it also has a lot more storage space than the hall table that we had there; storage space is a plus in this tiny house with very limited closet space.


This is either a good find or a spectacular find. It's either a really well made knock off of a Chanel purse, or the real deal. I'm having trouble finding out which one it is but it doesn't matter, as it will be for my personal use. At $5, it was a steal as some of the good knock offs sell for a couple hundred dollars and the real deal can be a thousand or more. Crazy to think that people spend that much on purses, I only picked it up because it was the size I like my purses to be. It feels like real leather, both inside and out. Maybe one of my readers is a purse person and can tell me more.



I also picked up a child's bike seat for the back of an adult bike for $5, which I was about ready to spend $35-$50 on Amazon for as it's been on our wish list for awhile, a few other kids clothes (including size 6 boys jeans which are almost impossible to find used!).



So, it is possible to be a shopaholic and a penny pincher at the same time!

9 comments:

  1. Great finds!! I love your $20 hutch! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great finds. Did you know kid's keens are about $60. Whoa! That Chanel bag looks like it might be the real deal. I'd know as soon as I touched it. Yesterday we bargain hunted too. We found my son a pair of really nice snow boots for $4 and I got a huge bag of clothes for myself for $25.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that buffet!!!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last time I "checked in" you were decluttering and determined to go minimalist. I guess I missed something...off to snoop your archives :P

    P.S. Great deal on the buffet! I need something like that, but for my record player and records...not for, um, buffeting LOL! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that buffet! I went to some thrift shops this morning and found a like new Croft and Barrow sweater for a quarter. I also found some Clark shoes for a quarter. I love finding bargains and I love shopping on the cheap!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous-
    Yes, I'm still on my journey to becoming more of a minimalist. Kids always need clothes and shoes though! :)
    Last week I got rid of a van load of stuff (and then some!) so I figured finding a few basics wouldn't hurt. As for the buffet...it's huge piece but fit more for a minimalist lifestyle as it is much more functional than the hall table that we had in it's place...which was more decorative than anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth - I LOVE Clarks shoes...excellent find!

    GirlRural- Wish I could find a bag of clothes for myself...it's been awhile since I've found a great deal on adult clothing at garage sales. Or maybe I'm just too busy looking at the kid's clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth, this is actually the second pair that I have found. The first pair were actually sandals. That is how I discovered that I love Clark shoes. Love them!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. The buffet is positively GORGEOUS!!! You really found some great bargains! As a purse-crazed addict, the Chanel bag looks to be the real thing....if not, it is a VERY good knock off. Don't you love finding Birks at yard sales too!? I found a new pair of the two strap leather ones last year for Hans. They had never even been worn and I only had to pay ONE DOLLAR! jacki

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails