*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Friday, November 19, 2010

It Pays to Complain

The old adage "the customer is always right" still rings true, for the most part. Companies want to hear feedback from their customers and see in what areas they are doing good and in what areas they need to work on.

Years ago if there was a product or store that I had issues with I stopped frequenting that store whenever possible or halted buying a particular product. Then I bought a computer and had access to the wonderful thing we call the internet. Having the internet at your fingertips makes it so easy, as well as free, to research companies and get their e-mail information. No writing out handwritten complaints or wasting money on a stamp. Just write a few sentences and send it off for free. Or better yet, fill out the simple forms on their own website.

90% of the time that I have had a complaint I have received a message back from the company, and a lot of the time they will even send a refund or free coupons for another of their products. It is a way for a company to know that something wasn't satisfactory as well as a way for them to make it right for the customer.

For example, we had an issue with a box of diapers a few years ago. Half the tabs on the diapers would fall off when we went to put the diaper on. Instead of throwing out the whole package and calling it a loss I contacted the company, who sent a mailer to mail back some of the diapers for product testing. They also sent a coupon for a free package of diapers as well as some high value coupons. Another time I was using some facial cleansing puff pads but several of the pads had a rough, sharp edge that actually cut my face. I wrote the company to let them know and they had me send back some of the pads and sent several free coupons for their products. The list goes on...

This is not to say that one should send false complaints just to get free things or refunds that they do not deserve. In fact, one should not expect anything in return. Complaining about a product that is not up to par does not automatically net you freebies, but is a public service to let those companies know that something isn't right. An apology or explanation of their products is enough, but those free will offerings are an added bonus. Only complain if there is something truly to complain about.

It is better to write a company and get things off your chest than to boycott them without letting them set things right first.

Complaints aren't the only things that pay off...compliments do as well. If something is my all-time favorite product or I found a new product that I absolutely adore, I write the company to let them know that. Often times they are thrilled beyond belief to hear a compliment (I assume that the complaints far outweigh the compliments...who thinks to send a thank you note to a company?!) and will in turn send a coupon or two to their valued customer. One time I received a box of goodies from a company just for telling them how much I liked their stuff! :)

Keep this in mind the next time you have a complaint or a compliment...they truly do want to hear from you!

Following Life As Mom

4 comments:

  1. You are such a nice person taking time to write nice things. I want to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time I opened a canister of Pringles chips and they were totally crushed. I looked on the can and there was a 1-800 number so I called it and I talked to an actual person. She apologized, took my address and sent me several free coupons.

    Also, this summer I had to keep going back into our local Hy-Vee grocery store as I was being charged the wrong prices for sales items. They always gave me the difference in price and apologized - they were very sweet. But after about 5 weeks of going back into the store, I e-mailed the store manager. He e-mailed me back. Then two days later I got a call from him and he told me that they had met with the individuals that enter the prices into the computer and they were doing their best to be 100% perfect from now on. Also, he asked me to stop by the store as he had something for me. I went to the store that morning and he gave me a $75.00 Hy-Vee gift certificate. I had never expected that.

    The end result is this: store managers do not want to lose customers and I was starting to lose trust in our Hy-Vee store. Since then - it has been 2 1/2 months now - there has not been one mistake on my grocery receipts and everyone continues to be just as sweet and pleasant as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi- You know me, as nice as they get! :P lol Let me know if you do this and what your results are!

    Martha - That is awesome. It's great when stores want to keep their valued customers and make a wrong a right. It's also great of you to let the manager know, without expecting anything in return. They were able to fix the registers after hearing your complaint so not only helped you but also all the other customers that may have been charged too much as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following from the blog hop. Hope you can follow back.
    God Bless,
    Shelley
    http://mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com/2010/11/blog-hoppin.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails