*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Saturday, August 11, 2012

Brain Splat

Jacob's central line was pulled on Wednesday and an IV was placed in each hand. Plans were for a PICC line to be placed at the same time but his cultures continued to grow so they wanted to hold off on that; a few days ago they decided not to place a PICC line at all since he does so well with his blood draws and not having one will lower his risk of infection.

As long as his cultures continue to be negative it looks like we will be discharged on Monday! He is still not eating much at all but with his NG-tube he will be getting all the nutrition he needs. I have a feeling that once home his appetite will be picking up! He is very anxious to go home and I'm sure these next few days will go very slow for him.

School will be starting soon, though I may push the first day off until the end of the month as we need some normal time at home before rushing into something else. I'm thankful for homeschooling, it has proven to be a blessing time and time again and it is once again apparent. Most children after receiving a transplant can not return to school for several months after finishing treatment, Jacob is able to keep up his studies at home as normal. There are always blessings around us, they just need to be searched for.

Did any of you catch the 20/20 show last night on the Bates Family? I think we have all heard of the Duggar Family, but since I haven't watched their television program I never knew about their family friends, the Bates, who have 19 children as well. It was interesting hearing about their family dynamics. I've never understood the distaste for large families in our society. It may not be for everyone, but when one can afford and chooses to have a large family I don't see why someone outside of the circle would be repulsed. Yes, these families put themselves out there for criticism by allowing their lives to be broadcast around the world but I don't see what there is to criticize in the first place.

If one considers babies a blessing, wouldn't one be open to those blessings? Watching the program last evening showed well rounded children and a happy family; I don't see what the size of a family has to do with anyone else. Why, I wonder, is there such disdain for children and large families in an era when we have more resources than ever before?

5 comments:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get discharged on schedule! I'm glad they decided against the PICC line.

    We saw a little of the Bates special, but we were out to eat so couldn't hear it or see all of it. My son was amazed that they had so many kids, lol.

    I wrote a post a long long time ago about the Duggars. My opinion is along the same lines yours is--a huge family like that isn't for everybody (me included) but you're not supporting them so why is it such a huge deal to you? Plus it's always seemed more than a little mean to me when people say she should have fewer kids--which of her children, exactly, should not exist? It also annoys me when people say that Michelle's recent fertility issues are her body saying she shouldn't have any more kids when her doctors say her problems aren't age-related or predictable. (That was the case last I knew, anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally don't care how many children anyone has as long as the American taxpayer doesn't have to support them. That means no welfare, food stamps or WIC. If you can't afford them, don't have them. Have never watched the Duggars and never will but I would say don't believe everything you see on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth...Am praying and hoping that you both get to come home on Monday!!

    As for the Duggars/Bates...I totally agree with you...I say good for them...Their children are happy, well taken care of, polite...and on and on...I don't see why people get so worked up about them either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont think that big families are a problem at all, i came from a large one ( 6 kids ) plus my parents fostered.
    at this point i believe alot of people are judging large families due to "octomom". I dont agree with her having a large family she cna neither afford or properly house all those children.
    the duggars and bates and many others like them have thought ahead and planned and worked hard to have a wonderful family and the should be applauded not criticized. my two cents

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - personally for me 19 kids is way to many, however since these families do not rely on public assistance or any assistance I don't have a problem with them. They are self sustaining and have raised thier children with respect, love, caring and a deep faith in God. Maybe if more people got back to the basics and stopped relying on our tax dollars to provide them with everything then this country wouldn't have so much hatred and "entitlement". I have nothing against people who need temporary welfare/assistance - its there for a reason, I have a problem with people who make it thier life ambition to live off the system.

    On a lighter note, I am glad to read that Jacob is doing better and hopefully by this post, is home.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails