*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Monday, July 4, 2011

Memories and Berries

What says 4th of July better than a bowl full of warm black raspberries freshly picked from your Grandma's woods?!
It was a tradition to spend the 4th of July at her house. Incidentally, the berries were always ripe for the picking that day too so I remember my fair share of fresh raspberries picked and popped directly into the mouth each year. It took some debating on whether or not to go to her house this year for raspberry picking but I finally decided that she wouldn't have wanted them to go to waste.

The kids had a blast picking the berries and Becca seemed to eat more than she put in the bowl. Jacob and Ben disappeared into the woods and came back 45 minutes later with the bowl filled. I basked on the front porch, blissful in the fact that I know the house and the woods will stay in the family since my younger brother put his offer in this week. It is magical up there! The only sad part of the trip was when Joe ran around to the back door and started knocking and waiting for my Grandma to open the door. He kept asking me "Grandma home?"

After stuffing ourselves with fresh berries, Joe and I made this delicious treat, which was quickly gobbled up too. I think that the berries will continue to be a yearly tradition now; for that I am thankful.

3 comments:

  1. We moved in May and this past week we realized we have a gigantic Raspberry bush next to our driveway. It's been so fun to wander over there and just pick some fresh juicy berries. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me a little teary! Family homes are always packed with so many memories and when one of the family are gone it hurts a little each time you pass the threshold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that family continuity is one of the things I miss from having moved all over the world. There is no-where to go back too for lovely memories. I am so glad that your family is able to keep your Grandma's place.
    Thanks also for the recipe link. I have been thinking about finding a cobbler recipe. You have done the hard work for me.

    Jennifer (Busso)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails