*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Thursday, May 19, 2011

Treasure Hunt

By now you all must know that I love to shop at garage sales. You just never know what you'll find that you never knew you needed! :)



At the end of April our town had their city-wide garage sales. For those of you unfamiliar with that term, it's when many garage sales are organized for one day. Our town had over 50 listed with several more sales that were unlisted.



My husband happened to be home that Friday so I was able to head out alone with my sister instead of hauling three kids along. We hit a lot of overpriced, full of junk sales but happened upon many good ones as well. I saw one sale being set up and remembered that it was a fun one with stationery and kids games and workbooks so decided to head back to it once they were completely set up.



Upon walking in I was a bit disappointed as it looked like just a garage filled with cookbooks. Hundreds and hundreds of cookbooks. Don't get me wrong, I love cookbooks and was able to find several that interested me:

I was still hoping for some stationery or fun kids stuff like last year when I ran across a rubbermaid shoebox in the corner filled with greetings cards and a sign reading 5 cents each. I glanced through the box and thought there were some usual ones so offered the woman $2 for the whole bin and she agreed. Only later when I arrived home did I see that they are Hallmark, Shoebox Greeting, and LANG cards - ONE of these greetings cards sells for more than I paid for the whole lot of them - and there must be at least 50 of them! I'm set for birthday and anniversary greeting for a long time!


As I exited the garage I saw a large cardboard box and peeked inside...only to find bunches of craft kids for children! As a mother to little ones I love craft kits. As a homeschooling family I especially love craft kits to keep the kids busy on a rainy or snowy day when they are driving me bonkers.

There were Klutz kits, American Girl card making kit, Crayola make your own sticker kit, Wee Bead People kit, make a sack puppet kit, and more. I happily grabbed all the ones I knew we could use with the intent to put them away for a rainy day (lucky for me the kids have not spied them yet so will be thrilled when I ration them out to keep us entertained).

The best part? Everything above cost me less than $10! Everything was priced just right. And that is why I love garage sales!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails