*Thrifty Living * Homeschooling * Natural Living * Creating * Baking * Learning * Exploring * Subscription Boxes * Childhood Cancer* Death of a Child*



Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Midweek Review

This week has started off with a bang - a fireball bang, that is. While I could be talking about the 100 degree heat we are enduring, I could also literally mean the fire ball that floated down from the sky down the street. Or, more accurately, the squirrel that got electrocuted and blew up right before my eyes after touching the transformer down the street. I actually meant the heat though. It's HOT out!


I would be fine with the heat if I was able to stay inside all day but yesterday Jacob's labs showed that not only did he need a blood transfusion but also a platelet transfusion so off to the hospital we had to go. And our van has no air conditioning. I was worried about Jacob in this heat having to travel an hour and a half and was so relieved when my mom called to tell me that my aunt offered to loan us her car. We both would have melted if we had to drive that far in this heat with no air and I am forever grateful to my aunt for her kindness! We spent all afternoon/evening at the hospital for the transfusions and arrived home around 9pm. Jacob now has a few days at home before having to go to the hospital early Friday morning for an overnight chemo treatment. Luckily, it is just one night so we should be arriving back home sometime Saturday afternoon.



Speaking of Jacob, he is enjoying Vacation Bible School this week along with his brother and sister. Well, his sister, at least. Joe isn't quite sure what to make of it. I was thrilled (naive?) when I saw that ages three and up could attend this three hour daily, week long camp. I was almost giddy with the anticipation of three hours alone each day. Yesterday we arrived to a jam-packed church and Becca and Jacob went happily into their groups and blended into the crowd. I got Joe situated in his group and made my way to the door, pausing to see how he was doing up front. His eyes were glued to me and he was crying...silently. I went back and sat with him while the groups sang and danced and then went back to the preschool room and sat with him during story time; then snuck out during playtime. For those two and a half hours alone I was able to rush home and get the bathroom and kitchen floors mopped and the living room and office carpets cleaned. These are no easy tasks with children underfoot so I was thrilled to be able to get those chores done with no interruptions. When I picked the kids up yesterday before jetting off to the hospital for Jacob's transfusions the instructors said that Joe did great, so I had great plans for this morning when dropping them off for day 2.



Again, Becca and Jacob scampered into their groups. Joe clung to me like a lost monkey. I sat through the songs with him and played in the preschool room with him but he would not let me out of his sight. Finally, an hour and a half later, I was able to sneak out while he turned his back for one second during snack time. I flew to the grocery store and did my shopping, arrived home and put the groceries away, made myself lunch and read the newspaper. When I arrived at the church to pick the kids up Joe looked happy in the arms of one of the teen leaders. First he said he had a fun time but then he shook his head "no" when asked if he wanted to go back tomorrow.



What tomorrow brings?! No one knows, except Joe! But I'm hoping that it brings mama a few more hours of peace and quiet in order to prepare for the Make-A-Wish guests that will be arriving at our house tomorrow evening. Jacob gets to plan a wish of his very own! (Do not fret...before Jacob's illness I thought Make-A-Wish was only for terminally ill children but that is NOT the case! It is for any child who has to go through a life threatening illness and loose a small part of their childhood because of it.)



It has been one jam packed week so far! Why does it seem that summer days go by 100 times quicker than winter ones?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails